Should I return my slightly scratched iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 5DollaFootlong, Jul 21, 2010.

1. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

Basically, I dropped my iphone 4 on grass while running, and scratched the front and back glass. However, the scratches are only visible when the phone is in broad daylight and other bright lights. I still have 3 days until my 30 day return period expires. Should I return it and buy another one or should I just keep my current phone? Please, no comments saying that I am immoral and trying to deceive apple. I just want advice, so if you are a troll, it's best you don't say anything. Thankyou.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can only return it for a full refund without a restocking fee if it's in as-new condition...

3. 5DollaFootlong thread starter macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

I know I can return my iphone, but should I? If I take it to a retail store, the scratches will not show up on the phone as they are ONLY visible under a bright light.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do the scratches bother you?

-If YES- return it.
    -if NO- don't return it.

I didn't think that was a particularly difficult thought process to execute.

If you really think they won't carefully scrutinize a phone being returned, you are going to be very disappointed.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

Just tell them the phone kept dropping calls.

6. xela24678 macrumors regular

make something up like like the guy that i qouted or something like keeps disconnecting from wifi or gps isn't accurate. something that is believable. That way you can get a replacement. I suggest that you go to somewhere busy so that way they will try to make it as fast as possible so they will give you a replacement without question

7. Xtgirl macrumors regular

8. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Keep it and put a screen protector on it.

The first scratch is always the one that hurt most!

When I first scratched my iPod, I freaked a little, but now the back and front both have scratchs, and you know what? I don't mind! I bought this thing to use it, not to look at it, should be the same for your iPhone.

9. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

10. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Karma is likely to catch up to those who abuse it.

12. Malinovaya macrumors newbie

Completely agree with this. Dolla if you like your iPhone, it works well, you don't notice this scratches - than don't return.
    Otherwise you can try to get full refund. :)

13. stephendoc1984 macrumors member

I did this. But my main reason was the proximity sensor problem. I will not be buying another iPhone till it is sorted out. The fact it acquired a few scratches also made me think why hold onto it till a software update comes out. So I returned it under 30 days and got a refund for my bumper as well.

14. X2D macrumors newbie

I had some VERY light scratches on my phone on the front face, not sure how they got there because I am super careful with my peripherals but never the less it bothered me, don't ask me why but it bothered me very very much.

What I did was I went to the mall and was buying my bumper to get that before they run out and start handing out whatever crap they are going to when they run out of the bumper. I noticed a Ghost Armor stand near the apple store and thought what the hell. I watched them put the full body protection on some other persons iPhone and my fiance mentioned that I had been using InvisibleShield on my old AT&T Fuze and that if I wanted to prevent any future scratches I should try it.

I was hesitant to leave my phone with some random people at a mall stand but went ahead and purchased the full body protection and to my luck there was a 10% discount card that they were handing out I guess because they recently got the iPhone 4 stock, I walked out of the mall given the instructions not to put it in my pocket for a day, not to put it in a bumper or case for 48 hours so I didn't, I went to the lake the next day and basically didn't use my phone due to poor reception.

This is now a week later and I can tell you that I'm completely satisfied, I haven't posted much but so far a couple of my posts have been praising this product and I can recommend it to anyone looking to protect the entire phone as well as eliminate the stupid antenna problem. The best part about it was the ghost armor filled in those scratches so you can't even tell they are there (very very small scratches mind you, no deeper or bigger than a freaking hair). I also use the Waterfield suede pouch with the pocket for my money and credit cards so I don't even carry around a wallet anymore it's quite nice.

TLDR version:

Ghost armor filled in my small scratches, if you're that worried about your scratched phone and you still WANT the iPhone I would advise investing in some sort of fully body protection today and you won't even know the scratches are there tomorrow.

Just my 2 cents as I was in the same boat and I felt so dissapointed in myself for scratching my phone but this resolved my issues and gave me peace of mind with my investment.

15. 5DollaFootlong thread starter macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

Alright, I've decided to suck it up and keep my iPhone 4. The scratches aren't that bad, and a couple of my friends told me that the invisible shield (which I am soon purchasing) actually conceals the scratches on the iPhone. Thanks X2D for the advice.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy