Should I return/replace my new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FixMahMacPLZ, Aug 20, 2010.

1. FixMahMacPLZ macrumors newbie

I have purchased a Macbook Pro 15" one week ago.

I have a few problems, please let me know if I should return it or not…

1) I've slightly dropped in once, on the floor, but it was in a bag-case which is very protective. It now makes a small noise at boot-up, as I checked. But do they all do it? I remember my old MBP does it, but do they always do it? I didn't cheek before the drop.

2) This doesn't bother me that much, but it had a few slight scratches on the cap, meaning the top plate with the  Apple logo. They are very small black scratches.

- Is it worth it returning it? Please be more detailed about 1 and 2.
    - Am I able to completely return or replace it?
    - Will they ask for a reason?
    - Can I return it at any Apple Store, or in the exact one I bought the computer in?
    - Can I only give them the computer, if I don't have the box with me?

This is important to me, please give me a few answers.
    Thanks.

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

1. the noise is just the dvd drive waking up and checking if all is well and if a disc is in the drive or not. It's normal.

2. the scratched lid, you dropped it(!) and want a new one you can drop? That is not right to me. Instead do try and clean it with a lightly moist cotton towel or use a regular eraser to see if you can clean it. The black marks could be from regular graphite from a pencil if you had it in a bag or case or on a desk.

Bottom line: If you use a portable computer it will have small scratches. Use the computer and live with it.

3. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

You sound like you need insurance for your new toy..
    I know, i probably will get it too.

Call state farm or a similar company and get a plan for it. Its surprisingly cheap. Usually no deductible.

4. pscraig macrumors member

Apple will not refund a computer without a box in most cases, and will charge a 15% restocking fee unless there are extenuating circumstances. In your case you would be charged the restocking fee. They will ask why you are returning it, in an attempt to fix any issues you may have with it.

All Macs make the signature "chord" sound when restarted.

I suggest you purchase AppleCare ASAP.

5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Why asap? He has 358 more days to buy AC. Besides it doesnt cover scratches, drops or accidental damage anyway.

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Agreed, OP doesn't need AC right now, he needs insurance...