Should I return Sandisk SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fontane, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

Bought a Sandisk Ultra II SSD and about to install it. Just came across the potential issues with trim on third-party SSDs. This hard drive is for my girlfriend's 2011 Macbook Pro, so we're looking to get maybe one year out of it.

Should I return the Sandisk and buy an SSD that has trim support (e.g., from OWC)? Or can I wing it with this one for a year?

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Without some software like Trim Enabler, no 3rd-party SSD will be trim enabled..

As for OWC SSDs, they don't need TRIM. They have their own garbage collection subroutines in firmware.

I wouldn't worry about it at all...the Sandisk should serve you well.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will be fine with the Sandisk. The OWC drive does not have native TRIM either. It has built in garbage collection just like the Sandisk and every other SSD sold does.

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

What's wrong with the SanDisk? If you're talking about the difference in read and write speed, seriously, unless you're transferring Gigs of video files you're not going to notice a difference in speed opening calendar, mail, messages, etc.

5. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I installed the Sandisk and the computer functions like it's brand new. Previously, it would stall for about 15 seconds to load Safari. Haven't seen any beach balls yet!