Should I return this iPad or keep it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bmwman3241, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bmwman3241 macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2009
    Hi everybody,

I purchased 4 iPad 2 WiFi+3G 64GB AT&T iPads (3 white & 1 black) last week from Apple online. When I received them, I checked all 4 for any backlight bleeding problems which were very minimal and pixel problems which I didn't notice. The day I opened the black one, I noticed something on the side near the screen. I thought it was a small piece of rubber, but today after removing the plastic I realized it is a small hole. It is a small hole but it is noticeable. I don't want to regret not getting a perfect one or have screen problems (possible cracking) from this hole in the future.

Should I exchange this iPad for a new one, or keep it and not worry about the hole? I don't want to exchange it and get stuck with something worse..

Your help is appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tritons macrumors 6502

Jul 12, 2011
    My first iPad 2 had dead pixel, I exchanged it and my new iPad 2 have like 3 or 4 of those.
  3. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2009
    keep it. It might be a collector's item one day!
  4. bmwman3241 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2009
    I think I'm going to take my chances and exchange it. I paid to have a perfect or near perfect iPad and don't want 1 big hole and a couple other small holes on my iPad.
  5. greygray macrumors 68000

Oct 22, 2009
    Yes exchange it while it is still within the warranty period. Do keep us updated! :)
  6. Steviolol macrumors newbie

Apr 21, 2011
    IMO, that's looks extremely minuscule.
  7. bmwman3241 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes it is a small hole, and I am not looking for 100% perfection (all my iPads have minor light bleed which is normal), but if it was a scratch or something I would understand and keep it. It has the hole pictured above as well as a few other small holes around the trim which shouldn't be there. Holes don't just appear in aluminum so I'm guessing it was dropped or something before being assembled. The other 3 iPads are "near" perfect so I will take my chance with this. I'm going to get an entirely new iPad..not just a genius bar replacement.
  8. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2009

not happy with the purchase send it back.
  9. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2010
    new joisey
    whats the difference between a bar replacement and an entirely new ipad?
  10. bmwman3241 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2009
    Aren't the Genius Bar replacements factory-refurbished?
  11. bmwman3241 thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2009
    I got a replacement today. No holes in the casing :eek:
  12. aonali21 macrumors member

Aug 2, 2011
    We buy new things because we wish that... and there is some problem with the new one then what is frofit to us... So you should exchange that...!