iPad mini Should I return this mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Han Solo 1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

I bought my iPad mini 10 days ago, so it’s still within the 14 day return period. The problem I have is whenever I’m watching a video, there is some pretty bad backlight bleeding on the bottom edge of the screen (left side of the screen in portrait mode).

Is this a problem big enough to warrant an exchange? I guess what I’m asking is, do most iPads have this problem, and will I just be swapping out for the same problem? How prevalent is this?

I don’t want to go through the hassle of unjailbreaking/restoring and returning if there is a 90% chance I’m going to have the same problem.

2. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

I vote for exchanging it. I returned three iPad 3s before finally getting a good iPad 4.

Being reminded you bought a lemon every time you watch a video sucks.

3. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I remember purchasing an iPad 2 on launch day and it arriving with horrendous bleed. Hundreds of others posted the issue in a thread to be told it is normal. Guess what- it's not. Since then, I've purchased two other iPad 2's with no bleeding. It is a manufacturing issue. It seems Apple has gotten it under control, though. Now, it is not common to get one with bad bleeding. Take it back for an exchange as the odds of getting another with the same issue are very slim. You'll thank yourself later.

4. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I might try and exchange it.

Given that it’s within the 14 day period, they will just give me a brand new one in the box, right? They won’t try and see if they can repair it or exchange it with a refurb?

5. Samtb macrumors 65816

If its bad, exchange it but I've learn that most led panels have some level of backlight bleeding.

6. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I’ve heard the same thing. I had it with my iPad 3 as well, but it wasn’t as bad as this and I got used to it. I think I”ll exchange it and see what happens.

7. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Don't worry about coverage, you're actually covered under warranty for 1 year. You can swap it out no questions in the 14 day period, but still swap it within the year if you can show the genius the light bleed.

I told myself I could live with light bleed on my iPad 3 for three months before telling myself I paid way too much for it to just "live with" an issue. I took it to the Apple Store and showed the Genius my issue. Swapped it out right then and there for a brand new iPad 3 (or refurbished, whatever).

The new one had no light bleed, had consistant whites and the battery lasted much longer than the one I switched. Was very happy!

8. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip, that makes me feel a lot better! Actually I'm thinking of going up to a 32GB instead of the 16GB that I have. I hope I'll be able to just pay the difference in cost and hopefully get rid of the backlight issue at the same time.

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

If not, just return it. They can't ask any questions. I've done it before. You're in the return period. Return it and buy a new one with higher capacity on the spot.

10. Samtb macrumors 65816

How much light bleed was there on the original ipad 3?

11. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

It wasn't bad, but enough to notice. In fact, it didn't affect black levels as much as it caused strange tint in the white and some yellow colors (mostly noticeable in white screens in safari and during the yellow/brown heavy iBooks apps).

If I had the screen brightness on high, I could tip the ipad up and look into the black part (from the screen to the glass and see light, the Genius noticed this too and offered a replacement on the spot.

12. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

If it bothers you, might as well try and exchange it. Odds are it will all work out and the next one you have wont have this issue!

13. Samtb macrumors 65816

If it wasn't bad, I'm surprised you could notice it under the bright lights of an Apple Store.

14. MacSince'85, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

MacSince'85 macrumors member

Just return it. They will give you a refurb (not opening up a brand new box) no matter what they tell you unless you are extremely lucky.

When you buy the replacement take it out of the box and check it over really well and check for light bleed before you leave the store. That way you can ask for a new one rather than getting another refurb if there is a problem.

I really feel sorry for us suckers that they are trying to pass off all of the returns with "cosmetic" defects onto as replacements for our warranty repairs.

15. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Since you are within the 14 day policy, don't do it through the Genius Bar. Instead take the whole thing with you ask the salesperson you want to do a return/exchange. They will definitely exchange it with a brand new one sealed.

Done this with my launch day iPad mini. Originally got the 16 gb but decided its not enough space so went back a few days later and exchanged it for a 32 gb model. Done this with my iPhone 4S as well.

16. Han Solo 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well weird thing happened. I took it to the store to return it and walked out with an iPad 4.

My misgivings over lack of retina won out in the end.

Lol

Once the retina mini comes out, I'll be back on board.

17. Samtb macrumors 65816

I think some of the service stock can be new, although im sure more are refurbs.

18. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I had to show him in the back...lights off to see the streak of light coming from the bezel area.

19. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

Apple told me this is normal...

then i promptly told them to give me my money back. initially they pushed back asking me to make an appointment with a genius to diagnose the problem LOL. what a joke

Attached Files:

20. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Return it. If you are bothered by the backlight bleed, than you should just return it and get a new one.

21. nebrot macrumors regular

nebrot

Wow, neighter our iPad 2 nor my mini or my wife´s new iPad 4 has anything like this. I would not accept it.