Should I return this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kryptekz, Feb 12, 2012.

1. kryptekz, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

kryptekz macrumors newbie

My mom bought a i3 Gateway 2 years ago, biggest POS ever. Build quality is so cheap, keyboard is falling apart, plastic has cracked (never dropped).

So anyways, at work she uses a Mac. She loves the OS and really wants to replace her gateway with something of a Mac. I found this at cowboom. Specs seem to be upgraded and the price is below average on ebay (paid 470 OTD).

Pictures proved to look fine.

I understand the apple markup as well, I know I could've gotten an i5 or even an i7 windows based pc but my Mom really wanted a 15" Mac and her price range was around 500. She didn't want some cheap plastic model crap again. Plus just using it for web browsing and music.

MA895LL/A 4GB/320GB
    http://www.cowboom.com/product/674018

I have 30 days to test it out, no restocking fee either. So I felt this was a risk worth taking.

What do you guys think? My dad has the 17" model and hasn't had any issues thus far, I felt this model was going last her for a couple years until she gets enough saved up for an new 15" model. If we do end up liking this purchase, we will most like sell the Gateway for around 250 and really this "upgrade" would've only cost around 250.

2. kryptekz thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking into putting an ssd into it as well.

Wondering how well this will run SL

3. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Snow Leopard will run just fine.
    C2D is relatively old, but that computer is actually pretty powerful and can handle a number of tasks.
    I'd be worried about the battery though.

4. kryptekz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah understandably being the machine is 4 years old. I figured my mom only does web browsing and youtube, should be a fine laptop.

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

This is the same MBP which my wife uses - there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. And it runs Lion well.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Core2Duo is surprisingly capable, especially for lighter computer users :) I think it'll be fine for her.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I love windows 7, but I'm not at all excited about the new look Windows 8 has. Just sayin'

8. kryptekz thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think it'll be necessary to install an SSD? Seems the 320gb already in there is not a stock option nor an apple purchased upgrade...hmmm

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Unless she needs speed, SSD is a lot of money to invest. Max out RAM to 6 GB for a cheaper speed up.

10. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

you can buy replacement batteries for those models at owc anyway.

batteries at OWC

if only people who hated on apple because of the price took quality build (glass, aluminium, design) into account eh :p

11. gmans46 macrumors regular

I would just upgrade the ram instead of getting ssd. Its expensive and minimizes space. You'll be looking at spending half of your computer cost for a good one and for a basic user its not really necessary. I think its a good computer for doing what your saying she's doing with it.

12. kryptekz thread starter macrumors newbie

An ssd (m4) is about $90.00

Does SL actually use more than 4gb's of ram just running chrome? I've never seen my mac max the 4gbs...

13. gmans46 macrumors regular

no, lion uses much more ram and I frequently am using more than 4 gigs. If you really want the ssd, take it. I have one and I love it but I also have a data doubler. If she really doesn't need any space at all then i guess it would be a great fit.

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

If that happens, then you're probably testing out a buggy nightly build.

A browser will never eat that much RAM. Also add that Snow Leopard is pretty wise in managing resources.