Should I run my mac of Samsung X5?

kaplaninternational

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2016
Someone said its the fastest external drive and its great to boot off - with my imac pro i just want to keep it clean as possible. i use it heavily 8am -8pm design development

what do you think? for a good strong performance?

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
I never used it, but I wouldn't think it would be faster than the internal speeds.

Use Blackmagic Disk Speed app in the Mac App Store, it is free. Test both drives.

If you want to stick with an external drive due to excessive use and not wanting to wear the internal drive, then the X5 would probably be fine. I have ran external boot drives many times before, and never had an issue.

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
Internal write speeds will be about double those of the X5.
I agree that internal would be faster, although I doubt internal write speeds would be double the X5.

To the OP, the internal drive would be faster, but the X5 is still pretty fast, and would probably be suitable for your needs. Maybe someone that has a X5 can let us know their experience.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
I agree that internal would be faster, although I doubt internal write speeds would be double the X5.

To the OP, the internal drive would be faster, but the X5 is still pretty fast, and would probably be suitable for your needs. Maybe someone that has a X5 can let us know their experience.
The benchmarks shown in the link are almost exactly half of the speed the OP showed for their iMac Pro disk, so my estimate of the internal disk being about 2x the speed of the X5 wasn't entirely a guess.

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
The benchmarks shown in the link are almost exactly half of the speed the OP showed for their iMac Pro disk, so my estimate of the internal disk being about 2x the speed of the X5 wasn't entirely a guess.
Sorry, I will check it out.

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
I checked them out, and it looks like the 5GB stress test was about 1300 MBps write speeds, which would be about half.

But the 1GB stress test was over 2000MBps, so a lot closer to the internal the OP posted.

I think the default for the Blackmagic test is 1GB.

To the OP: can you test the iMac Pro @ 5GB stress level?