Should i save for a apple watch with wireless charging?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by borgqueenx, Nov 24, 2016.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

i love the waterproof factor of the new apple watch and the use of it, but i never used one because i am already a bit frustrated with the pebble time battery life!
    As a rumor forum, whatya think the chance is on a apple watch with wireless charging? (Real wireless, no cables or fake "mat" involved)

2. Closingracer macrumors 68020

It's not possible no? I mean you do need some way for the electrons or whatever to get to power the battery? Sorry for my unscientific way of examining it btw

3. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

The tech already exists, its a matter if its small enough and cheap enough for apple.

4. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Which tech are you referring to?

The Apple Watch already uses 'wireless charging' in the same way some android phones charge on contact pads.

5. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

If you mean charging from a distance wirelessly, that would appear in iPhone or iPad first.

6. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

The Apple Watch already supports wiresss charging. Magnetic induction. Done. What more do you want? Charging from a distance? If so...what distance?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 24, 2016 ---
    The Apple Watch already supports wiresss charging. Magnetic induction. Done. What more do you want? Charging from a distance? If so...what distance?

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Are we talking a small fusion reactor?

This may not happen for a while.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Source?

9. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I use my watch, series 1, all day and night to track sleep and a 1 hour workout, actually 2, 30 min workouts, I receive texts and notifications and check the weather, so pretty much all day use, I don't have motion activation on, so I tap to see. I get more than 36 hours off one charge and then charge the phone when I'm in the shower or eating breakfast.

Pretty impressed with the watch so far.

10. Closingracer macrumors 68020

No it doesn't...

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed. Likely the iPhone first. Wireless charging with the Apple Watch is years out, perhaps one day. But I wouldn't think until at least Generation 5 of the Apple Watch.

12. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

I imagine cellular connectivity, so that Apple Watch could operate independently from the iPhone, would appear first. Gen 5 sounds about right.

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

yes... it does.

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...way----does-startup-have-a-game-changer-.html

there is the first google result that I found on a search for "wireless in home charging". This tech has been around for a few years now it just isn't feasible to put all the needed tech inside this sliver of a phone they are offering now and/or you have to have the expensive components in your house as well.

EDIT: As for waiting on the watch to have it, don't hold your breath it will be many, many years to come.

14. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

I'd guess 2030s before it's anything close to commercially viable for consumer electronics.

The prototypes can barely tingle a gnat's ass at 5 feet.

15. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

16. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Oh but the gnats are LOVING IT. ;)

I don't think wireless charging will be good enough until either (A) it's available everywhere you go or (B) the batteries take a charge very quickly and can go for a week or two.

17. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I think the article says it can charge a watt a minute to multiple devices up to 30 feet but I could be off with the wattage timing. Anyway, i agree with you that maybe around 2030-2040 we will see homes prewired for providing everything in your home with wireless power. Our kids may even look back and reminisce on the days when everything was connected to the wall "how barbaric" lol.

18. chabig macrumors 68040

From the link, "Zeine held a 2- by 2- by 1-in. cube-shaped dongle device, plugged it into an iPhone 5 via a standard charging cable and held it in the air until the iPhone's screen displayed the green battery icon that indicated that it was wirelessly charging..."

So the new definition of wireless charging is plugging a "standard charging cable" into a device?

19. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

No and it is rather ignorant to look so near. This is proving that the capability is there, just isn't feasible. In order to fit all the needed components in the phone now you would need to increase the size of the phone or decrease the size of the wireless technology. This article was from 3 years ago if I remember correctly and was merely the first article of many in a simple google search result. So I would assume that within that 3 years the tech has done just that, gotten smaller. I would also go as far as to say that they are no longer the leaders in their own technology and that there are other companies that have come further into making this become a reality that we could all live with. So, as the posts above said, we are looking at another 20-30 years before we see this anywhere near mainstream.

20. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes it does. Use google. Inductive charging isn't truly wireless. There is still a cable. Just not to the watch itself.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

There is no such thing as "...truly wireless..." and there MUST be a wire attached to ANY wireless charging system's transmitter. The transmitter MUST be 'plugged' into a power supply/wall socket. Inductive is just close proximity magnetic wireless charging (inside the magnetic field) and what you are asking about is a type or radio wave (WiFi) wireless charging that works at a longer distance. Don't believe inductive is wireless then put a towel in between your :apple:Watch and charging puck and it will still charge.

22. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, the cables behind the outlet will still make it wired, but i think everyone understands and agrees(exept some stubborn people) that wireless charging is placing the phone anywhere you wish without a cable within a certain field from the charging device that transmits energy.

23. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Again the :apple:Watch IS wireless charging since there is no wire connecting the :apple:Watch to the power source. This is a FACT and not an opinion. Even with a WiFi based charging system you will NOT be able to place the iDevice "anywhere you wish". Just like current WiFi you will have to stay in a certain radius of the base (except far more restrictive/closer) and as you get farther away it will exponentially charge slower. Even a powerful/inefficient WiFi charging system will only work within a few feet/meters radius (probably about 15'/5m) of the base.

Also the WiFi antenna/charger will probably be much larger (at least initially) that the induction coil (and space is a SUPER premium in a watch). So even if WiFi charging makes it to the next iPhone it will probably be a couple to a few more years before it makes it to the :apple:Watch.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

That is one form of wireless charging, but not the only. Generally speaking, the only currently extant form for consumer electronics is inductive as is used with the current Apple Watch and also Qi or other similar charging pads for phones. I doubt we'll see something not requiring close coupling (i.e setting the device on a pad) for a few years yet. Truth be told, I've been pretty happy with the Qi charging for my phone since I already typically set it down in the same spot when charging; now I don't have to fuss with a wire, I just set it down.

From https://www.techopedia.com/definition/15049/wireless-charging