Should I sell by iPad 2 on eBay?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DakotaGuy, Mar 12, 2011.

1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I was really excited to get an iPad 2 wifi 64 GB at Walmart yesterday. Our rural Walmart only got 3 and there was only 3 of us in line so it all worked out. Anyhow I have already opened it and synced it and I really like it, but I am watching eBay right now and people are going crazy on there. They are bidding way over the MSRP for these items.

I know that mine might not sell as well since I already opened it and used it for a day. I assume I will have to sell it as used, but I could live a month without one unlike some people who are bidding $200+ over MSRP.

My question is do you think Apple is going to have a real shortage of these things driving prices higher or since I opened it I won't even make my money back? I really like it and would buy one again once they come back into stock, it just seems people are desperate for these things right now.

2. findnemo macrumors regular

No.

Use craigslist. Ebay + paypal fees are outrageous.

3. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

After fees and a reduction for having opened it, plus the hassle of selling and shipping, it really isn't worth your time, in my opinion.

4. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Your probably right and I am really happy I got one, but some of the prices people are willing to pay are insane! I guess I can be happy that I paid retail price because even though it is a great product I would have buyers remorse if I paid an extra $200-300 for it.

5. feeth macrumors 6502

Ebay fees are now 9% for electronics, add 3% paypal fees and its crazy.

6. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

Well, the purpose of your purchase was pleasure, not profits so don't kill your fun, just keep it, and ignore what the market is doing.
    If you do really want to sell, I would say avoid eBay you might never know and end up getting scammed someway, somehow. And for such a new product, I think used VS new (unopened) would have quite a noticeable price difference IMO.

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Work out how much you think you'll be able to sell it for. Then deduct the cost of selling and how much you paid for it.

If you end up with a big profit I'd say go for it, if you don't mind waiting a while for another one. If you only end up making a little bit, I wouldn't bother.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I think you need to just use and enjoy your device. The iPad2 price will drop rather quickly as they become more and common.

9. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Sell it and make a few bucks if you can use the money. Keep it if you really like it. One thing I'd consider is if your iPad is perfect and doesn't have the yellow spots or light leakage that some are reporting. If you get rid of it and plan on buying another one, you may end up with one with those issues. On the other hand, if it is perfect, you can gurantee a buyer that it does not have those issues.

10. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

The funny thing is they did not have a purchase limit. I could have purchased 2 and sold 1, however there were 3 of us in line and they had 3 iPad 2s in stock. I waited for about an hour so I visited with the other 2 people. One was a younger guy who showed up about 15 minutes after me and then an older lady who came about 30 minutes after. She was excited because she was going to use the camera to chat with her grandkids. I just couldn't buy 2 and not let her have one. I guess my conscience took over on me which cost me some money, but made me do what was the right thing in the end.

I think I will keep it for now and watch the market over the next few days. Since it is opened it probably won't make a difference. So far my screen is perfect. No issues to report. I do like it and it is a great product, but it never fails to amaze me at how people can just throw their money around and pay so much more just to get one right away. I guess they must have a lot of disposable income. Wow.

11. feeth macrumors 6502

Looks like most brand new 32g wi-fi's are going for $800ish completed auctions w/ free shipping.

$800-12% (paypal and ebay fees)= $704
    Insured shipping via UPS, approx $20.

Total for you $684.

You paid $635-$640 with tax

Profit $50-55.

Plus the prices will start dropping.

If you can sell on craigslist for $750-800 cash, that is pretty good. Then you have to consider people that wont show up, the 2-3% chance you will get mugged (always meet in a public place and deal in cash only.)

12. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well actually I purchased the 64 GB WiFi model, but I get what you are saying. By the time I factor in the fees I will only make a few dollars. Craigslist doesn't work as well here because I live in a rural area so I have to hope that someone sees my ad from somewhere else and then I still have to use PayPal for a secure payment and ship it.

Anyhow thanks for taking the time to give some good advice. That is why I thought I would ask the MR crew what they thought.

13. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

It is up to you what you do with your iPad. Like others said eBay and craigslist not always the best sources. If you do decide to sell it I wish you the best and hope it works out for you.

This being my first iPad I am very happy to own one and will not be selling mine. So to answer the question if I were you then no... But I am not you.

14. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

That is something i will never comprehend. I saw the 16gb wifi ipad 2 going for $800-1000. I don't understand, who are these people out there that are looking to pay nearly double of a premium to get it faster. Not just getting something that's rare but something just a little bit faster. Makes no sense to me. But that plays to your advantage.

Craigslist all the way. Ebay will give you higher prices but will rape you with the 9%. But the 9% fee is capped at a MAX of $50 no matter how hight the price goes. And the 3% paypal would suck though..

EDIT:

On second thought, I'd go ebay. Even with the $50 fee + 3% paypal, I dont think craigslist will give you much of the type of people who would buy at a premium. Craigslist is famous for low ballers, not impulsive buyers that need things right away.

15. spinstorm macrumors 68000

If you don't mind maybe waiting 2 weeks for a replacement at most then eBay it.

I bought a 32GB 3G for $1,100 last night.

It was a £100 premium on the UK price which I don't consider that much to have it early.

I know that is an insane $400 profit for the guy I bought it from but it is only
    Insane in dollars - in sterling pounds it's a minor premium.

So if you want to possibly fund half of another iPad go for it.

16. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I was gonna put my iPad1 with the original Unlimited Data plan on ebay, those are going for a lot, even the Simcards alone are selling high.
    Maybe I should get an iPad2 and be the first to sell it with the Unlimited plan instead? I think you would see crazy on that.
    nah.