Price Advice Should I sell early 2011 15" MBP for 2012 refresh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lingo124, Apr 11, 2012.

  1. lingo124, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012

    lingo124 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2011
    #1
    I know that the refresh isn't out yet and it is all speculation at the moment but I just wanted to get some opinions on this.

    Sadly my old laptop broke down last summer and I was trying to make it last till the MBP redesign but I couldn't make it. Anyways, I was hoping to get a laptop without the CD drive and hopefully lighter.

    My question is, will it be worth it to sell my current MBP for the new one. I got my current MBP at around $2050. I am not exactly sure how much it will sell for now as the prices on ebay for example are all over the place. My specs are

    MBP15 Feb 2011
    2.2ghz
    15" glossy
    8gb ram
    120gb ssd

    I was thinking about selling it and buying the new one, since the new one will definitely be more powerful and probably lighter, but I don't know if it will be worth it. Any comments or appraisals for my laptop would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
     
  2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #2
    yes you should
     
  3. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #3
    Who knows, what if you don't like the change or don't need the new specs?
     
  4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2010
    #4
    Currently, you can probably safely get about 1500 for it, more if you're patient and lucky. If you wait until after the new ones come out, you're probably looking at less.
     
  5. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    #5
    curious: when is the projected 2012 refresh ?
     
  6. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #6
    Sometime between this very second and the next 6 months?

    Nobody here works in the upper echelons at Apple, thus, nobody knows.
     
  7. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2008
    #7
    cool. sometimes word does get out of an impending refresh so i figure I'd check. I am eyeing a new 15 MBP later this year.
     
  8. srxtr macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #8
    If you're the type of person who buys the new iPhones and iPads every year, then I guess so...

    It's your money
     
  9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

    GGJstudios

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #9
    As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.
     
  10. shardey macrumors 6502a

    shardey

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #10
    How bad do you need it? Should have bought a cheaper macbook to hold you off to have maximum amount of money for the 15". As one poster mentioned, what if you don't like the redesign, or what if the machine you only can afford doesn't have a discrete GPU and you are stuck with the HD 4000?

    What exactly are you trying to achieve with the "newer" laptop?
     
  11. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

    Eddy Munn

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2008
    #11
    I'm sure the refresh for the MacBook Pro lineup isn't too far from now, to be honest if you don't like any changes that they make in the new one, the 2011 MBP may be cheaper to buy.
     
  12. lingo124 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2011
    #12
    lighter and hopefully more quiet. the 2011 starts cranking up the fan while watching 1080 YouTube in an air conditioned room o_O plus hopefully USB 3.0 as thunderbolt seams to be dead in the water atm.

    I definitely can get the machine with the discrete graphics but I don't know if it's worth the difference between when I bought my laptop and how much ican sell it for now
     
  13. a.chufong macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2005
    #13
    If you're concerned about the heat and fan noise, I'd sell the 2011 MBP immediately if you can. These issues will not get any better over time and you will, most likely, never be 100% satisfied with that you have. It might just be better using a backup computer or desktop (if you can) while waiting for the 2012 MBP to drop.

    However, there's also no guarantee that the 2012 MBP will meet your requirements. Most posters and commentators are expecting an "air" like redesign, which may mean that the 2012 MBP will be lighter and sleeker, but also a space heater. However, given the additional space, maybe Apple will use a dual HSF (a la the Timeline 3820TG) to reduce heat. There's just too much up in the air to really make the call as to whether this year's model will be better in those regards.

    TL;DR: I would sell the 2011 MBP if I could.
     
  14. mrmarts macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne Australia
    #14
    I got my MacBook 13 2010 model up for sale if I don't sell it I will wait till next year
     
  15. thermodynamic Suspended

    thermodynamic

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #15
    That depends on what the new version has...

    I'd wait a while after the 2012 model comes out, how people react, if there are problems, etc...

    The 2011s, by and large, are nice models.

    Good luck in selling your 2011 if you do - you'd be lucky to get 50% of its current value, even if it were in mint condition.

    I'll wear mine to the ground, get an external optical drive, and buy the 2015 model when it comes out.

    ----------

    As you say, the 2012s might produce more heat... or may not ideally flush the heat out of the chassis... (the 2011's big problem is poorly applied thermal grease of unknown quality - but too much grease, regardless of quality, only worsens heating problems). If one can DIY using a proper amount of a professional-quality grease then temps go down 10C or more. http://my2011macbookpro.com/replacing-thermal-paste-on-the-cpu-and-gpu-results/

    And given the number of Dell laptops I've dealt with that are far worse in the cooling dept. than any 2011 Macbook... just get Applecare and be happy... :)
     
  16. thermodynamic Suspended

    thermodynamic

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #16
    And even then, it might not sell.

    I tried selling mine (mint condition/same condition as I got it in) but with 8GB of RAM, 2.75 years of AppleCare remaining, Snow Leopard, works perfectly, and at $100 less than the cost of the stock model refurbed from Apple's site at the time. How the heck is that a bad deal?? Some people made snide remarks because I wouldn't terminate the auction early just for them, but nobody took the auction seriously. Despite my 100% seller rating and number of people on the 'watch' list. Maybe I didn't market it right but what's to say, apart from essentially "more for less"... thankfully, I later read about sellers having problems with ebay and paypal so I terminated my account. Sellers have ZERO rights in the eyes of these place, and I don't want to be suckered by some malicious loser... so I'd rather have a laptop than absolutely nothing and still be out the money...

    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57352136-501465/paypal-makes-ebay-customer-destroy-$2500-violin-seller-left-empty-handed/

    http://paypalcomplaints.org/

    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/ebay.htm

    Cool society we live in...

    YMMV, but given how much time has elapsed, and the usual media hype about "upcoming rumors", a 2011 MBP is not going to sell for much online, even if you price it better than everyone else and with more features. It's their loss.
     

Share This Page