Should i sell MBA and buy an iPad Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abz1981, Nov 17, 2013.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hey all
    I know you guys probably get this question a lot and i know its my decision at the end of the day. However just like some advice.

This is my current set up. I have my mid 2011 13 inch MBA, which I use for browsing on safari, doing the occasional word documents using Pages or Mac Office Word, or using exel or numbers.

Now using the above word/pages and numbers/exel is maybe like once or twice a month. I mainly use my mba most of the time for browsing and twice a week i download via torrents my favourite US TV shows such as Homeland etc. What I cannot get on netflix or regular cable tv I use torrents, I also stream quite a lot as well as watch things like BBC I player etc. Thats pretty is much my usage for my MBA.

Oh also forgot to add my MBA hardly ever leaves the house. Its always at home, unless I go on a long journey etc.

Now from reading the above, if your in my position would you sell your MBA and buy an iPad Air. I also have an iPhone so at the moment, I may do occasional browsing on my iPhone and use my MBA when I am in bed. Only downside to getting an IPad Air is that I won't be able to download my shows etc through torrents.

Any thoughts or suggestions or advice?

thanks in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think for content creation, i.e., word, excel etc, a laptop is a superior product. I like my iPad but I find using my laptop for writing, surfing and emails to be better but that's just me

3. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey

Yeah i guess I know what you mean. Thinking about it now. I do like the typing on my mba and the feel of them buttons. I also guess if I wanted to use my mba for more than what I am using it for, I can and with an iPad Air I won't be able to do so. hmm just one of them thoughts today I guess I am having lol.

4. rillrill macrumors 6502

rillrill

5. bt22 macrumors 6502

I am in a similar situation. I have a 4th Gen iPad. My daughter wants an iPad so I am trying to decide if I should buy her a new iPad or buy a new MBA and give her my 4th Gen iPad. I currently have a 2009 MBP, but I want a MBA. The wife and I are constantly fighting over the laptop and the only time I use my iPad is at night in the bed. I prefer to watch youtube or surf instead of watch TV. Plus it is less disruptive to the wife who is usually asleep when I go to bed. My daughter will normally be asleep also, so I should be free to use the iPad in this situation. It is nice having the iPad on trips for my daughter, but I don't think we would see a benefit by having two iPads... Not sure I really like the new iPad Air... what little I have used one at my local Best Buy...

6. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I have an iMac and a 17" MBP. I have no sense for an iPad. I like the iPad but it would be too redundant.

I would suggest you to keep the MBA because you will need an actual computer later on if you get the iPad.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'd go for an iPad and Bluetooth Keyboard ;)

I've seen a few offices where people have gone iPad, ATV + Monitor, and Bluetooth it works rather well if the sole purpose is emailing, a few Keynotes, some pages and very light numbers.

8. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat - kind of. Both devices have their place. It's hard to pick one over the other. I currently have both a 11" MBA and a new iPad Air. I also have an iMac which is my main machine. I'll admit I haven't touched my MBA since I got the new iPad Air, but I am like you, I never take it either devices out of the house. The iPad is just a couch/bed device, which is also how I used the Air before I got the iPad. Now I have been seriously thinking about selling the MBA and getting some of the money back, but I keep hesitating. It's good peace of mind to have a backup machine in case my iMac would go down for some reason. Plus, if I do ever have to travel for some odd reason I have it ready to go. The iPad is great, but it still can't do everything an actual computer can do. I know I couldn't live or travel with just an iPad only. But at the same time, I hate the thought of having a $1000 computer just sitting there unused when I could sell it and get almost all of my money back. It's a tough situation that is still bugging me.

9. macs4nw, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

What will an iPad Air do for you, that your 13" 2011 MBA does not do, other than the former being more portable, and perhaps have a slight edge, speed and battery-life wise. As you said, you rarely use your MBA away from home, and for those infrequent occasions you still have your iPhone (admittedly with a much smaller screen). If you're asking me for my opinion, it's a no-brainer, keep what you've got.

But if you've got an extra pile of cash burning a hole in your pocket, by all means, add an iPad Air to your line-up.

If you were to actually replace the MBA with an iPad Air, keep in mind, with what you intend to use it for, you'd probably need to go for the 64 or 128GB model, and that still won't 'torrent' your shows. You might consider selling your 13" 2011 MBA, and replacing it with a 13" 2013 MBA. With 802.11ac WiFi, Haswell, improved graphics and 10+hrs of battery life, that, in my opinion, would be money well-spent, but I'm afraid the ball is in your court.
    Good Luck!

10. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your input. Now I think about it even more, it makes sense for me to keep my MBA and keep using it till I am in a position to upgrade to a new machine. lol yeah i dont have extra cash to burn on an ipad. I am going to stick to my current set up MBA and my Iphone :)

11. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

in my opinion, it is hard to solely relay on an iPad or any tablet. most people need a computer at least for now.