Should I Sell My 15" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shakenbake158, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Shakenbake158 macrumors member

Hey guys this is my first post here, and I am looking for some advice.

I recently picked up a used 15" Macbook pro with a 6750m. Before that, I had a Sager NP8130.

I sold the Sager, because I wanted something that was a little more portable, and that had better build quality, and a back lit keyboard.

But now I miss the power that the Sager had, so I am thinking of selling my Macbook Pro. But now my dilemma is I am trying to find something that is slimmer than the NP8130, but has just as much gaming power.

I am looking ad the M17x R4 with a 7970m, how is the build quality?

Do you guys had any other recommendations? I could do anything with a 660m and up.

Keep in mind build quality is very important to me, hence the Macbook, but honestly I have just been running it in bootcamp since I got it.

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Not sure you'll get much good advice about a Windows machine here on a Mac forum. Probably not the best place to look for advice on that subject. That being said, Macs have never been known as the best gaming machines, for sure. If you really want a hardcore gaming machine then yes, you should probably sell your MBP.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

build a desktop and get an air for portability

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

As you may already know, there is no perfect laptop. If not for "the grass is greener" thoughts we all have, a lot of money would be saved. As a self confessed multi-platform laptop addict, I can speak from experience with nearly every brand sold over the last twenty years.

The two brands I've relied on heavily for resource intense engineering & design work are MacBook Pro's and ThinkPads. Admittedly since 1991 I've been biased to Mac, but go to great lengths to avoid using one for gaming. They get too hot too fast, and despite those who claim they are usable that way, I seriously doubt they've had a powerful full fledged smokin fast Windows Gaming Laptop.

I happily accept the larger form factor, as performance and good thermal management is very important to me. Apple has weak graphics compared to a custom gaming rig, is much noisier & hot_hot_hot. It's not fair to compare them since Apple never cared about or focused on gaming.

The area that Apple excels in today, is building an expensive, sleek & light consumer machine. Designed to work with iCloud, they're getting us used to using iOS type elements as they prepare us for their migration to the Steve Jobs vision of tablets for all. It makes far more money for Apple, allows them to focus on the masses & reduce manufacturing complexities.

iToyz are addictive profit generators for Apple, theirs no doubt about that fact. It's the future, Apple style. And when you're Apple, nothing else matters.

5. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Your first problem is you are looking at the m17x for a laptop that is portable but powerful.

You would have to go down to at least the m14x to be in the ballpark even.