Should I sell my 2010 mac for the new one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmarts, May 9, 2012.

1. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hello all

I got a good price on my 2010 13" mac book pro and with all the rumours of a redesign i am tempted to take the plunge and sell it. But if apple keeps the same design it kinda hinders my decision. i like to change things when they release a new design like the iPhone for example so if i were to sell my macbook this year would i regret it.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple must love you. :)

Some folks just have to keep up with the Joneses.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

If it does what you need it to then you don't need to sell it. If you're buying things based on appearances than I take it the specs are irrelevant to you. We also have no friggin' clue what the new laptops are going to look like since they haven't been released yet. Your call, really.

4. mrmarts thread starter macrumors 65816

ok thanks i do care about specs for instance i am interested in the rumours of usb 3.0 something i would realistically use light speed is something i would not use, than there is also the rumour of the removal of the optical disk this does not worry me apart from installing store bought games like diablo 3. So I'am tearing my hair to decide whether to sell or not than again if i sell my laptop next year i would get less i assume so I'am really on the fence on this one.

5. underblu macrumors regular

The sleek brushed aluminum unibody of the current MBP is a gorgeous piece of functional design regardless of what comes later.

It's possible the new MBP may be a bit slimmer more along the lines of the MBA but even then the MBAs still share a similar appearance to the current MBPs

Now as far as performance is concerened, the new MBPs 13" with Ivy Bridge processors will probably be a significant step up especially given the integrated graphics contained with Ivy Bridge.

If you need the performance boost then by all means sell but if you don't I'd hang onto it. 2010 MBP are great.

6. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I would get a new MacBook Pro then seeing as Diablo III would most likely function better with a dedicated graphics card, something your 13" MacBook Pro lacks. Even the newer onboard graphics the new 13" is likely to have... the HD 4000... does not fair well with Diablo III. It will play it, but on very low settings. You'd probably need to get at least a 15" MBP with dedicated graphics, or save yourself a giant wad of cash and get a gaming desktop. If you don't know how to build yourself a gaming rig, then http://www.ibuypower.com/ is a good option.

The 13" MBP isn't much of a gaming machine.

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Both vague and unhelpful. Thank you.

8. purpletacoz macrumors newbie

From the rumors I've heard its going to have a intel 4000. how come you don't just stick with your mac and build a gaming rig to do your gaming on? its going to come off way more cheaper than a new macbook and trust me gaming on a computer isn't a good choice, it gets hot, it eats your battery like i eat tacos and macs aren't really meant to game

9. trikky macrumors regular

Do you need to ask your mummy if you should go to the toilet, too? :eek:

Really, why require validation from a bunch of strangers about whether you want to spend money to upgrade to the latest and greatest computer when your current computer is working just fine? If you want to throw your money away when you can instead use it to buy some neat-o peripherals for your current system, that's your choice...and yours alone.

As for me, I knew last year that a new model MBP was coming out, so I waited, and waited and when it was finally released in October 2011, I pounced. I pounced straight to the refurb shop and I waited for a Feb 2011 17" 2.2GHz and 7200rpm HD to become available at a ridiculous savings. I think it took about a week.

Why buy new for full price, when you can buy recently superseded and save a few hundred dollars which could then be spent on other cool stuff?

But that's just my random opinion, from a guy who stopped asking his mum if he needed to go to the toilet, a long time ago. :D