Should I sell my 2012 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Ray-, Oct 27, 2013.

1. -Ray- macrumors regular

-Ray-

Im thinking about selling my 2012 rMBP. It has apple care and i feel that I can squeeze more out of it. With my military discount, i could possibly get the newest rMBP for $150 more and tax free. Do you think it would be worth it? I feel if I sell now i can get more for my macbook than i would in two years if I were to sell it. Is there a huge improvement with the haswell and how does the iris stack.

Im thinking about getting 16gb of ram anyways.

2. buddyspencer macrumors regular

I made the change - and I'm happy. rMBP 2013 is much better (and I do have a better screen).

3. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

4. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Sell.

Sell, and then buy - buy! Then, repeat- repeat.

5. prestong macrumors member

I get almost double the battery life, over my mid 2012, so yes sell it :)

6. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

No, there is not.

We are talking a modest 10-15% gain in CPU speed which won't be noticeable and is standard when comparing new chips to previous years. Now if the CPU gain was say 40-50% then thats a different story. The main jump would be in the iGPU with roughly a 50% increase when compared to last year but that isn't that big of a deal considering your model has the dGPU.

The new dGPU is just a rebranding of lsat years dGPU but with higher clock speeds. The added VRAM is nice, but that VRAM really won't be sig help when it comes to gaming because the dGPU will still struggle to have playable (meaning consistent 50-60fps) for the latest games.

The biggest thing about the new chips is that they become more power efficient while still maintaining power.

Addition of TB2 is nice but right now TB isn't even well adopted to the average consumer. Chances are your either using USB2/3.

The speed in the new flash is great but again isn't noticeable (I also own a 2013 Air with the new flash and it isn't noticeable to me when I switch between the rMBP and the MBA).

In short your computer is fine, it will be fine for the next 4-5 years. Seriously, don't get caught in the "latest tech game" there is always something around the corner.

There isn't that big of a performance jump to justify an upgrade every year. But 4-5 years from now it'll be a different story.

7. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Do remember that 2012 rMBP came with 8GBs of RAM, while the newly updated one only has 4GB's. I'm sure the new 2013 model is a bit faster, but mind-glowingly fast I doubt. And sure, the 2012 model is a tad bit thicker and heavier, but by less than 1/10th of a pound.

8. Tommy Hewitt macrumors newbie

Tommy Hewitt

He has the 15" model, so it's neither thicker nor heavier ;) Only the 13" has a new case.

9. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Ah. :p

10. -Ray- thread starter macrumors regular

-Ray-

Well guys.. i had an issue at the apple store today. My 2012 had some pixel burn outs and I have apple care. Instead of waiting the 5 days for the repair I decided to purchase 2X the 2013 rMBP 2.3GHZ 16GB model. One for my business partner and one for myself.

My old model is currently waiting in line at the apple store to be repaired. After complete I will sell to one of my staff members.

I decided that I didn't want to be stuck with 8GB of ram over the next four years and now was a prime time to upgrade to 16GB. I want my mac to last me for a few more years.

So far all seems well with this model. i don't see any issues and love that we now have a backlit keyboard again.