Should I sell my 2014 MacBook Air 13" for a MacBook Pro with retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jacoblee23, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

Love my Air, it just bothers me sometimes when I look at my 6 plus and iPad Air 2 and then see the non retina display. I'd it weren't for that I wouldn't even consider selling it. I will miss the battery life and weight. I could get a refurb from apple website though. I just don't know how much I could get out of my 2014 base model air. Also, the pro would be a little older I think. What do you all think? I'm on a very tight budget and can't afford to spend a lot out of pocket.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I have to have a retina display. Once you have one, everything else is hard on the eyes personally.

3. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I can't imagine using a non-retina device. Go with retina. All retina models are pretty good. It's okay if it is older. It will be just fine.

4. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Realistically around how much do you think that I could get for my base 2014 13" Air?

5. roncron macrumors member

Check eBay.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Sold mine (same model) for $700 on CL two weeks ago. It only had 11 cycles on the battery. I could have gotten maybe $50 more if I had waited longer but Best Buy and B&H photo have had them on sale for $800 for the last two weeks.

Anyway, yes you should sell your Air and get a rMBP. I sold my Air because I could not stand the crappy screen after having buying a 13" rMBP.
    Once you go with a high resolution screen like the retina, you just can't go back to anything less.

7. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How much did you end up paying out of pocket for your mbpr? Which model?

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I bought a used late 2013 model. I paid $900 for it so $200 out of pocket.

9. TLmac macrumors member

Then I wouldn't do it! (EDIT:) I guess unless you sell your Air FIRST!

I was on a tight budget until I crawled out of credit card debt. I'm now able to buy my first Mac. But I wasn't willing to do it until I had the $$.

10. newellj macrumors 601

As a personal preference, I can't deal with the MBA displays. (I've owned three and gotten rid of all three of them.) On the other hand, if money is an issue, the one you own is a much better economic proposition than selling it and buying something else. :( If you can find the cash, though, consider buying an Apple refurb - you give up nothing and get a nice discount.