Should I sell my 3.06 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by glowjangles, Dec 23, 2008.

1. glowjangles macrumors newbie

I love my current iMac, but with the new ones coming out, I want to be fully optimized for snow leopard. I got a great deal on it and can sell for a small/slight profit. What's the call? Would it be worth it?

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Don't think so, in my opinion. Your iMac should already be optimized for snow leopard - good/dedicated GPU, fast processor.

Its your call I guess. I'd stick with it, but then again you could get a better spec computer at macworld - or the price could go up and you'd be without it for a few weeks and you'd have had to pay more! So up to you I guess.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Seconded.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If you can live without your iMac for a few days and don't care about the hassle of moving data/applications and if you don't loose much (or even profit), why not? ^^

6. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Is this a typo???

I wouldn't sell your computer, it's great and Snow Leopard will run fine on it :)

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

How would you make $$ off this deal? At the very best it would only COST you a little bit.

Either way your machine is pretty high end already so I wouldn't bother.

8. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you love your iMac, so sell it. How else could you afford to buy a new one that has probably a 5% faster CPU? Do you think NASA will mind your delaying design of the Uranus Lander?

9. akbc macrumors 6502

If you can make a profit out of it, I see no reason why you wouldn't sell it.

Making profit on used electronics itself is already a great reason.

If you're not losing anything, I don't see why one would not sell it.

It's win-win for you, and when it comes to data, just grab a nice hard drive and back it up by using either Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. That way, you're only a few clicks away from having your old settings/applications back into your new iMac!

If iMacs were to be upgraded, it'd be a similar update to MacBooks and MacBook Pro's, which got a very nice update with the DDR2 to DDR3 transition, better FSB and stuff.

Anyways, g'luck with your purchase/sale!! :D

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. scoobierules macrumors member

scoobierules

I sold my Imac 3.06 on Ebay about 2 months ago for $1900.00. I wanted to get the new macbook pro and I did not want a huge screen anymore. So, with educational discount that I purchased the IMac with, I only lost about 100.00. I think that will prices will go down once Apple releases the new models.

By the way, I was in complete withdrawals without my computer for 2 weeks. it was a little scary to realize that I rely on this so much.

It is your call, I would sell if you want the latest and the greatest. If you don't care, why go through the hassles?

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the question is not just whether you can sell this one for more than you paid, but what you will have to pay for the next one. If you can get another great deal then ok, but if you're going to have to pay full retail for it then it really doesn't matter if you "profit" on this one, you're still going to see a loss on the whole transaction (albeit a loss that comes in exchange for a modest upgrade).

bottom line, I don't think you should do it. Your mac will run snow leopard extremely well and is an excellent machine with which you have no problems (right?). Buy the new ones the first time the hit the stores and you're risking problems, and for what?

13. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

There's your answer.

14. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Indeed that was a typo:eek: Hopefully snow leopard will be far from slow!

15. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The iMac already has the faster FSB that the MBPs just received. In my opinion there is no to sell it. Technically you would make a profit off selling it, but you would still be spending extra money to buy a new model that was faster than the current one.

3.06Ghz w/ 6MB cache + 1066mhz bus is already insanely fast. The 8800 will work great with Snow Leopard.

16. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

don't sell...you're computer is a monster, and you'll have to pay tax again.