Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi guys,

Question is in the title really, I own a Pristine, not a single scratch/scuff, Invisible Shield and Speck protected MacBook 2.4/250GB/2GB Ram for the new Nehalem i5/i7s that are due out in 2010? It was given to me in March/April cant remember exactly what date so around just over 6months old. Not a refurb or anything, got the normal Apple MacBook box and packaging with it and still do have it somewhere.

I've seen on eBay they're going for around £600-£750? Not too bad seen as I got mine for free as a gift. I assume the new MacBooks will have better graphics as well as better screens? Also, do you think they may have built in batteries like the current MBPs? This is the only drawback in my opinion, as when getting the battery replaced by Apple I have a feeling that they will scratch/scuff the Mac, this happened alot with my old MacBook Black, I gave it in pristine condition, they said I had to take off the Invisible Shield for some repairs to it and when I got it back, the corners were dinged and the top case scratched. Maybe if I get the new Nehalem's I'll make it a case that I ask them to be gentle with it, as you can probably tell with my MacBook UB, I hate scratches so take the utmost care, helps when selling it later on:p

I've barely used the MacBook, turned it on maybe around a maximum of 15 times, honestly, no joke, the battery has done 1 cycle! Is there anyway I can prove that it's only be turned on and used a for a minimum amount of time so I can possibly get more money for it?

So in the end is it worth it? What price should I be getting for it off eBay? Will also be selling Speck SeeThru Satin with it and an Invisible Shield.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
What would you use the "Nehalem" MBP for if you don't even touch your current one?

Sorry, didn't mention this in the original post, I'm actually going to University next year so will actually be using the MacBook a lot, right now at 6th form I still use my computer as we're not allowed to bring Laptop's in.

I'll edit the original post as well.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Should I sell my barely used MacBook Unibody 2.4 for the new Nehalem MB/MBP in 2010.

Only if you feel like you need the latest-greatest. Word of warning: There will be another latest-greatest that will come out less than a year after you get the Nehalem so when/if you get it, don't become too attached.

Meanwhile, just to let you know about college needs in general, my daughter uses two Mac notebooks: a 2005 12" PowerBook and a 2006 1,1 MacBook. These are certainly not the latest-greatest products and she is first year MedSchool.

I really do think that your current notebook will be fine for school.

About the damage that occurred during your repair, I had the same gut feeling about my '06 White MacBook (mentioned above) so when I dropped it off, I had the Genius and store manager examine my pristine machine and make note of its condition on my work order. I received it back 4 days later unscathed.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Only if you feel like you need the latest-greatest. Word of warning: There will be another latest-greatest that will come out less than a year after you get the Nehalem so when/if you get it, don't become too attached.

Meanwhile, just to let you know about college needs in general, my daughter uses two Mac notebooks: a 2005 12" PowerBook and a 2006 1,1 MacBook. These are certainly not the latest-greatest products and she is first year MedSchool.

I really do think that your current notebook will be fine for school.

About the damage that occurred during your repair, I had the same gut feeling about my '06 White MacBook (mentioned above) so when I dropped it off, I had the Genius and store manager examine my pristine machine and make note of its condition on my work order. I received it back 4 days later unscathed.

Hmm... Im hopefully going for an Economics/maths degree so may be doing some Mathematical modelling.

I plan to play high-end games on it and whilst at University I probably will connect it to a monitor and use it as my main PC.

Will the new Nehalem processors have a huge gain over there Core2Duo counterparts?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Hmm... Im hopefully going for an Economics/maths degree so may be doing some Mathematical modelling.

Probably nothing that requires anything more than what you have now. In my experience a G4 will run pretty much anything an undergraduate would need. Anything else you wind up sending to a grid offsite anyways. Higher-level econ and mathematics isn't about number crunching either.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Doesn't sound like you'll see much gains.

Wait and see what actually comes out next year...

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
No.

This is a dangerous, dangerous cycle.

It happens with televisions, recording gear, hi-fi stereo gear, computers - it is a crippling disease.

It's the sickness of focusing on the hardware itself opposed to the use of the hardware. If you go down this path, you will never be happy with what you own. You will spent so much time in the pursuit of new toys you will never have time to enjoy the ones you have.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Not too bad seen as I got mine for free as a gift.
LOL! Buyer's remorse and your macbook didn't even cost you anything.

Quit coming to this forum and your need to keep up with the latest fashions will subside.

You guys crack me up! :)

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
So guys, what's the general concensus? Sell or keep,

Also, anyone know what GPUs the new 13MBP will use, I've been Reading here that it'll use the intergrated ones found on the CPU?

Lorenz0

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
Shallow. Spare a thought for the person who bought it for you, only to watch you do bugger all with it, then sell it on 6 months later.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah

I plan to play high-end games on it and whilst at University I probably will connect it to a monitor and use it as my main PC.

Will the new Nehalem processors have a huge gain over there Core2Duo counterparts?

Current MBP is fine for school. I do all my Excel stuff on it and it performs beautifully. I also do all my design homework in it as well. Needs more ram, but does well. You would be fine if you got one now, or waited till Jan-Feb. Also as a high end game machine you will be better off getting a 13-15" MBP depending on $$$, and getting an XBOX360 or PS3.
You can play the latest games, with settings turned down halfway or less. Usually. So I would save yourself some money, buy a dedicated console for gaming when you don't have homework. :)
Also mine is connected to a 22" monitor as my main computer, love it.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I consider the upcoming MBP's with quad cores to a major step up and worth waiting for. You want to buy after these new plateau's in performance appear, not right before.

ricof

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
The Garden of England
Aren't you being a tad selfish? You want to sell something that you got as a gift and barely used just to get something that will be far too powerful for what you need.

The most 'powerful' piece of software you will likely use is Matlab. Which will run superbly on your current machine, but then again would probably run on a pentium 3 laptop from the 1990's.

I use my MBP at uni (product design engineering undergrad) for CAD modelling and CS4 and I am so happy with it.

Spare a thought for those less fortunate than you and if you want to play games buy a dedicated console.

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Well you see thats the point.

As I've barely used it I could sell it now whilst it's still only half a year old, get more money for it then I would If I sold it when the new ones came out, and with the 700-800 quid raised, put in another 300 pounds and get the new ones?

What my question is, is are the new MBPs going to have a bigger performance gap then the Core2Duos?

ricof

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
The Garden of England
Yes there will be a peformance difference. Makes no sense releasing a new model with the same performance! And anyway, you wouldnt really notice it in day to day computing (i.e no intensive photoediting or modelling applications).

Why not keep the one you have and upgrade the memory or HDD if you are looking for a performance increase.

I recently installed 4gigs of ram and now my machine is a lot faster. Well worth the 75quid.

Edit: just noticed you already have 4gig ram installed. Should be plenty fast then!

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
the macbook already has a built in battery, and when the macbook pros get the i5 or i7's the macbook will not see them, it will keep the core2duo... but no you dont need any of that snazz... your macbook is fine, save your cash for booze..

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Yes there will be a peformance difference. Makes no sense releasing a new model with the same performance! And anyway, you wouldnt really notice it in day to day computing (i.e no intensive photoediting or modelling applications).

Why not keep the one you have and upgrade the memory or HDD if you are looking for a performance increase.

I recently installed 4gigs of ram and now my machine is a lot faster. Well worth the 75quid.

Edit: just noticed you already have 4gig ram installed. Should be plenty fast then!

Will I notice a difference when playing Games?

I've read that the GPU is the drawback, the Core 2 Duos can handle the games fine.

Do you think the new MBP 13s with i5 will have a revised GPU and not the integrated Intel one?

ricof

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
The Garden of England
I have been playing modern warefare on my system for a while and although its the base model (albeit with 4gigs of ram) it runs like a dream!

I don't know mate, just have to wait and see. In the meantime enjoy the mac you have!

hamzab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I have been playing modern warefare on my system for a while and although its the base model (albeit with 4gigs of ram) it runs like a dream!

I don't know mate, just have to wait and see. In the meantime enjoy the mac you have!

Really? MW2 Plays well? Crikey, I've never tried a game on here before.

Do you know poetentially how much my MacBook could go for?

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
No.

This is a dangerous, dangerous cycle.

It happens with televisions, recording gear, hi-fi stereo gear, computers - it is a crippling disease.

It's the sickness of focusing on the hardware itself opposed to the use of the hardware. If you go down this path, you will never be happy with what you own. You will spent so much time in the pursuit of new toys you will never have time to enjoy the ones you have.

Consumerism at it's finest, my friend. We have been raised in a world where if we want something, then we are entitled to in. The status quo will never be enough and, unfortunately, its implications are bigger then a person's next Mac purchase.

OP: Keep what you have. If you are honest with yourself, you will see that you don't really need it.

ricof

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
The Garden of England
Really? MW2 Plays well? Crikey, I've never tried a game on here before.

Do you know poetentially how much my MacBook could go for?

Not modern warfare 2, just the first one. Guitar hero III runs well as well.

Not sure how much it would go for, perhaps 600 quid. Maybe more maybe less.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
don't waste your money..

Unless you are doing heavy duty graphics or professional imaging, there is no need to upgrade now. Take the money you would have spent (thrown away) and give it to some school in rural Kenya for books. Most schools in rural Kenya have no story books, only tattered text books. Do some good with the money.

When you are out of college and have a job, you will be able to buy whatever you want and even give more money to hands-on charities. This is not to say you are not a generous person. I don't know. But there is no need for such unnecessary consumerism in a world where a hard boiled egg in most places is considered a luxury....

Hell, if you are rich... Buy the MBP and give away twice as much $$ to the needy.... Or drink it all up. It's your money in the end. and it is your choice!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.