Should I sell my Dell Inspiron for a basic model Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mikhailov, May 3, 2010.

1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

I'd be sacrificing 2GB of ram and a Core i3 for a Core2Duo.

I should still be able to play Star Trek Online using Windows XP and Boot Camp (which is the only thing I use in Windows). The thing is I just bought this Dell in February to make use of the HDMI cable in my classroom. I'm just mesmerized by the newer Macs.

Do you think having Mac OS is worth the downgrade?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can always add RAM and Core i3 ain't really faster than C2Ds...

It's up to you, is OS X worth it for you?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That depends on you and your needs.

I downgraded from a 1.4GHZ Centrino to a 1GHZ G4 when I switched, and life was better. I even had a full blown PC at that time with two monitors and a high end graphics card and double the RAM and 2.xGHz AMD CPU. I always used my 12" iBook, and eventually sold my PC too. And I did some CPU intensive stuff, like editing or photo manipulation, and not with iMovie or iPhoto.

So it comes down to Mac OS X or Windows.

4. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

The answer to that would be: I like both. I love OSX, but I need Windows for light gaming (Star Trek Online is the only Windows Game I have). I also have a developer account, so I would like to use the SDK.

If I can do all these things with little issue, the "downgrade" would be worth it for me.

5. lyons238 macrumors 6502

Yes def switch. The MacBook will be faster and handle just as much if not more. Osx runs so good and makes the best use of your computers power. Unlike windows. I had a 2.8ghz hp w 2gs of ram and my 2.26 handles way more. Now that iv upgrades to 4gb of ram and 7200rpm 500gb HD this thing is amazing

6. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

Even if the processor is lower than the i3 it'll handle things faster?

I would definitely get it with the 4GB of RAM, or I would get a slightly used one from Craig's List and upgrade it.

Besides the official apple store, is there anywhere I can get a good deal?

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Yes... at the Apple Store. The heck you say. I said besides the Apple Store. Well, the Apple Store has refurbished Macs for a great price and in my opinion it would be a great way to get a Mac for a good deal. btw... refurbished doesn't mean used.

Apple Store - Special Deals

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That depends on your location.

9. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

I live in CT, and I can get the student and teacher discount. It wouldn't be that much more money for a Macbook (and even a Pro).

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If CT is short for the state at the long tidal river, then maybe this helps:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

If you meant computed tomography, I'm out of information.

11. lyons238 macrumors 6502

yes. windows is a resource hog. it basically steals a % of your cpu considerably higher than osx. also osx just seems to run way faster and smoother.

like i said my 2.26ghz macbook blows my old 2.8ghz hp out of the water.

i make music using reason and ableton live which can be very intensive, and this thing handles it like a dream.

12. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I bought my wife a Dell Inspiron Core i3 earlier in the year, and either of my macbooks are faster on normal everyday tasks. The processor specs out to be faster than the core 2 duos, but mac os more than makes up for it.

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

You can always compare two different machines from two different companies running two different operating systems, but that's not really anything to base your conclusions upon.

For me, I am currently finding that Windows 7 runs faster on my Macbook than Snow Leopard does. I don't know whether I've just not used Windows 7 long enough to feel the effects of it slowing down, or whether something's up with OS X, but it's definately slower these days and I don't know if it'd be a different story or not using a different machine.

14. lyons238 macrumors 6502

odd. i think the majority of people wouldnt come to this conclusion. maybe something is going wrong somewhere along the line for you.

and yeah iv noticed windows does slow down over time. even my parents window 7 pc has gotten noticeably slower.

15. gerabbi macrumors regular

The Microcenter in Boston has the Macbook for 799.99
    I purchased one of these from the Orange County store here in greater Los Angeles, and it's a very nice machine at a great price, imho.

16. lyons238 macrumors 6502

also just throwing this out there man. your asking a mac community if you should switch to mac. i think you want a macbook inside and are just posting this to make you feel better about your decision.

personally i think its a good choice. just using a mac is such a nice experience. putting internal specs aside, the mac itself, the trackpad with the multitouch commands and such is just amazing.

trust me on this one, if you get a mac you won't be sorry and you probably will never go back to a pc.

17. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Well,it depends on what you need it for. Mac OSX is nice,but I'm not as sold out as I was even a few weeks ago.But for everyday internet browsing and media Mac is the best choice.I'm just way advanced and need both but can only afford one or the other. :(

18. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

I do want a Macbook Pro. I should have waited and not bought my Dell.

If I can use a Windows XP (eventually Windows 7) install disk and Boot Camp to Play Star Trek Online, then I'm sold!

19. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Star Trek works fine, played it myself for a short time under bootcamp.

20. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

I found a Buyer for my Dell at my job, and I opted for the lower model Macbook Pro instead of the lower model Macbook.

I don't like the hassle of transferring files and reinstalling programs, but I love the MacBook to death. I finally got my music and files transferred over. Haven't yet connected my iPhone and iPad, as I don't want to have my apps deleted, but I'll get there slowly.

I saved my Dell restore disc and got A Win 7 partition running under Boot Camp. STO runs great!