Should I sell my G5 for an iMac?

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Do you think it is worth selling my late 2005 dual 2ghz G5 for a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz Late 2006 iMac?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Maybe not a white iMac, they're at the end of the line in terms of OS upgrades, an aluminum iMac. Those still have a few years left in them.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Maybe not a white iMac, they're at the end of the line in terms of OS upgrades, an aluminum iMac. Those still have a few years left in them.
You're right, but the price difference is quite large.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
You're right, but the price difference is quite large.
It is, but these white imacs running lion are still going to be supported by websites and flash updates for a good few years,

I say do what I did and get yourself on a nice white imac then once you've got a solid supported computer start to save until you have a beast of a machine

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Do you think it is worth selling my late 2005 dual 2ghz G5 for a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz Late 2006 iMac?
I would. You'll be gaining an Intel machine with more support, more peripheral choices(Magic Trackpad), the ability to run virtualbox or dual boot other operating systems, a decrease in energy use, a nice display with everything you need(mostly) included, and the imacs are a good line. Is it the 20" or the 24" model that you want?

That's true about no more OS upgrades, but it's better to be there with Lion and the ability to run any version of Windows or Linux than being stuck there with Leopard and no option for other upgrades at all.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
If your G5 can no longer do something you need, or want it to do, and the iMac can, then the answer to your question is yes.

Otherwise, the answer is no. :D

powermi

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2013
Avila (Spain)
even if you have to pay something would be a good change.. it will be paid by it self just by the power drain.

But under my subjective opinion, i would prefer to stay on powerpc systems as long as i can.

r6mile

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Currently using a late 2006 17 iMac with a 2.0 C2D. Upgraded to 3gb RAM, SSD. Runs Lion great. Even played The Walking Dead on it with quite good performance. These machines are made to last.

MysticCow

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2013
If it's a 1:1 exchange, go for it. Lion is certainly more supported than Leopard.

For me, though, I just can't give up my PowerPC machines. I just can't, not even my G5 that will take an EMP pulse and just shrug it off (said for the reaction, not because it happened).

*edit* due to me forgetting what cat goes with what OS.

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Currently using a late 2006 17 iMac with a 2.0 C2D. Upgraded to 3gb RAM, SSD. Runs Lion great. Even played The Walking Dead on it with quite good performance. These machines are made to last.
I recently sold my 2009 iMac(and now wishing I didn't; but I didn't have much choice at the time). The only thing that was wrong with it was the superdrive was no longer reading DVDs, and that's because I used it to burn all my DVDs to .mp4s and I guess I kind of wore it out.

If it's a 1:1 exchange, go for it. Tiger is certainly more supported than Leopard.

For me, though, I just can't give up my PowerPC machines. I just can't, not even my G5 that will take an EMP pulse and just shrug it off (said for the reaction, not because it happened).
I understand this because of the way I have enjoyed not only my two iBooks, but also my kids' iMac G5. But in giving people advice here on which machine to buy and why, and the benefits of an Intel machine over a PPC machine not only in regards to support but in expandability and longevity; I know that as soon as I can afford an iNtel machine again, that I will move to that and stay there.

MysticCow

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2013
I understand this because of the way I have enjoyed not only my two iBooks, but also my kids' iMac G5. But in giving people advice here on which machine to buy and why, and the benefits of an Intel machine over a PPC machine not only in regards to support but in expandability and longevity; I know that as soon as I can afford an iNtel machine again, that I will move to that and stay there.
I understand that perfectly and have a Mac Mini i5. It's the one with the graphics card instead of Intel Integrated Graphics, because I have one application that won't run very nicely under integrated.

MysticCow

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2013
See, selective quoting isn't a good thing and pardon the attitude. Here is the full text and maybe I did need the sarcasm tag attached to it instead of the parenthetical thought that was actually inserted: