Should I sell my G5 for an iMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SuperKerem, Jun 13, 2013.

1. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Do you think it is worth selling my late 2005 dual 2ghz G5 for a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 Ghz Late 2006 iMac?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Maybe not a white iMac, they're at the end of the line in terms of OS upgrades, an aluminum iMac. Those still have a few years left in them.

3. SuperKerem thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

You're right, but the price difference is quite large.

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

It is, but these white imacs running lion are still going to be supported by websites and flash updates for a good few years,

I say do what I did and get yourself on a nice white imac then once you've got a solid supported computer start to save until you have a beast of a machine

5. wobegong Guest

If its a straight swap, yes.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

I would. You'll be gaining an Intel machine with more support, more peripheral choices(Magic Trackpad), the ability to run virtualbox or dual boot other operating systems, a decrease in energy use, a nice display with everything you need(mostly) included, and the imacs are a good line. Is it the 20" or the 24" model that you want?

That's true about no more OS upgrades, but it's better to be there with Lion and the ability to run any version of Windows or Linux than being stuck there with Leopard and no option for other upgrades at all.

7. archtopshop macrumors regular

If your G5 can no longer do something you need, or want it to do, and the iMac can, then the answer to your question is yes.

Otherwise, the answer is no. :D

8. powermi macrumors regular

even if you have to pay something would be a good change.. it will be paid by it self just by the power drain.

But under my subjective opinion, i would prefer to stay on powerpc systems as long as i can.

9. r6mile macrumors 6502

Currently using a late 2006 17 iMac with a 2.0 C2D. Upgraded to 3gb RAM, SSD. Runs Lion great. Even played The Walking Dead on it with quite good performance. These machines are made to last.

10. MysticCow, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

If it's a 1:1 exchange, go for it. Lion is certainly more supported than Leopard.

For me, though, I just can't give up my PowerPC machines. I just can't, not even my G5 that will take an EMP pulse and just shrug it off (said for the reaction, not because it happened).

*edit* due to me forgetting what cat goes with what OS.

11. RedCroissant Suspended

I recently sold my 2009 iMac(and now wishing I didn't; but I didn't have much choice at the time). The only thing that was wrong with it was the superdrive was no longer reading DVDs, and that's because I used it to burn all my DVDs to .mp4s and I guess I kind of wore it out.

I understand this because of the way I have enjoyed not only my two iBooks, but also my kids' iMac G5. But in giving people advice here on which machine to buy and why, and the benefits of an Intel machine over a PPC machine not only in regards to support but in expandability and longevity; I know that as soon as I can afford an iNtel machine again, that I will move to that and stay there.

12. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I understand that perfectly and have a Mac Mini i5. It's the one with the graphics card instead of Intel Integrated Graphics, because I have one application that won't run very nicely under integrated.

13. Mac Mini Pro macrumors newbie

Actually, no computer can survive an EMP (no pulse after, the "P" literally stands for "pulse") without proper shielding.

14. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

See, selective quoting isn't a good thing and pardon the attitude. Here is the full text and maybe I did need the sarcasm tag attached to it instead of the parenthetical thought that was actually inserted:

For me, though, I just can't give up my PowerPC machines. I just can't, not even my G5 that will take an EMP pulse and just shrug it off (said for the reaction, not because it happened).