Should I sell my iMac every year to always have newest model?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sgfernandez, May 16, 2011.

1. sgfernandez macrumors member

I just bought my first iMac this month and I absolutely love it! It has a slight yellow tinge (that I had to "look" for to even see) but it's very hard to notice so it doesn't bother me much. Despite that, I've noticed that some people choose to buy a new computer every year just to always have the latest model. My question is, is that really necessary? And is it economical? I know that iMacs have a high resale value usually, but in the long run, is it more costly to purchase a new one every 4 or 5 years or so or buy every year by selling your old one? Is the resale value really that high where you would only need a couple hundred dollars extra to buy a new one? I've just been curious about this lately, and any opinions or advice are welcome!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I see no reason for it. My computer is 2 years old now (model itself is 2 and a half years old) and it is still plenty for my needs. I don't think resale is actually that good that it is economical to buy and sell every year, plus I don't think the hassle would really be worth it. I plan to use my computer until it no longer works or fulfills my needs, or I have need for another computer.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

this makes as much sense as selling your Car every year to get the new model every year

4. tsugaru macrumors 6502

In that case, you'd lease it.

5. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

6. sgfernandez thread starter macrumors member

I agree with what most of you are saying.. I really think it seems kind of crazy to sell it every year to get a new one. Aren't macs built to last?I used to buy a new windows pc every 3 years or so before switching to the Mac. I'd like to keep mine for up to 5 or 6 years if it allows. The only reason I was curious about the "annual upgrade" thing was because of the resale value, etc. If anyone is curious, I went (somewhat) all out and got the 27" i7 model with 1tb HD and the 2GB ATI radeon graphics card. Purchased the base 4gb of ram then upgraded via OWC to make it 12 gb in total. It seems to me like my computer will be set for quite some time, and the only real gaming I do on the computer is the Sims so that isn't a real big issue either

7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I can't see a reason to upgrade an iMac every year. I'd go ahead and enjoy the one you just got.

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That computer should definitely last you quite a while.

9. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Well. Depends on what you get for your resale.
    If Apple wasn't replacing my 2009 iMac with the new one, I would have sold the old one for the 2011 model. Still would have gotten probably $2000 for it. So $300-$400 over two years is what, around $15-$20 per month in cost for you to use it?

This new model was definitely worth the upgrade. Thunderbolt, Sandy Bridge, and a much better GPU.

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Wow .. that idea sound exhausting. It means you have to migrating every single year.

It means you have to try sell your old iMac for uncertain period, time, price and buyer EVERY YEAR

It means you have to preorder and waiting for new iMac every year, which also increase risk that you get bad unit, and you´ll end up facing with hassle of take it back to apple for exchange bla bla bla ...

Yeah :apple: smells good when it´s new, but I dont want to smell it every year.
    I don´t really into going latest and greatest every time.

In 4 or 5 years period, you may earn more than enough to get the newest model, with BIG improvement compared to small steps included in annual refresh. Plus you still be able to sell your old one for some money.

Usually we can retain 30 - 40% price for 5 years iMac, depend on condition, and of course .. some luck to get nice buyer.

Upgrade every year? .. wow :rolleyes:

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Part of it really depends on the savvyness of your selling. Some people can buy a $1,500-$2,300 iMac, and a year later sell it for $300-500 less than they paid for it. Take into account they will lose the tax, shipping, and unless they go craiglist, eBay and PayPal fees. Assume an iMac should last 3-6 years. You could argue that they buy the original and 5 years later it has cost them another $2,000-$2,500 to stay current, about the price of a new machine 5 years later. However, their old machine at 5 years old would have value still, probably $600-$1,000. Some people might go the 24 month route. The other risk you run is price drops. The funny thing about Macs is that people who aren't quite as informed as they should be might be willing to pay more than you would expect for your machine.

I bought the first generation aluminum iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Extreme in 2007 for about $2,300-2,500. I plan to sell it when OS X 10.7 Lion is released this summer, and get a new 27" i5, probably the base $1,699 2.7 machine, not the i5 3.1 for $2k. And yet I can probably still realistically get $700-900 for my iMac, $1,000 is probably pushing it. I also have a 13.3" unibody aluminum MacBook 2.4 GHz with backlit keyboard (first generation of the unibody - October 2008) which is apparently still worth $900-1100. So between the two I should be able to sell them both and spend little to nothing on a new iMac except for maybe tax and AppleCare.

12. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Steve Jobs would like to thank you for providing him with fresh toilet paper in the form of your hard earned cash every year.

seriously, if you need to upgrade annually, Lease or go hackintosh where you can upgrade on a per-component basis.

At the very least, look at the Mac Pro (Im still holding out for an i7 macpro, i can dream)

13. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Makes no sense to upgrade each year. First, you would have to go through the migration process each year which can be a pain. Second, year to year there's usually no dramatic change that would warrant an upgrade. Third, why lose money every year just to have the newest. It doesn't make sense.
    These Imacs are durable and should last a few years.

14. lucab1982 macrumors member

I have a early 2008 24" iMac Model with a 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo. I have just purchased the mid range 2011 21.5" iMac. I have owned this iMac for 2 years from new (refurbished) but the new Sandy Bridge architecture are a real dramatic improvement.

15. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Not saying it makes sense every year (the 09 to 10 iMac really didn't do it for me, and I didn't upgrade at that time.)

If you have the money, and it makes you happy, then definitely go for it. No one can really tell you how to spend your money.

Nor should anyone judge you for your decision (I'm looking at you nightarchaon.) Even if I'm losing $400 every year upgrading my iMacs, that's less than a day of work for me. I'm not going to lose sleep over that.

bush - usually there's no dramatic change. Again, see 09 to 10. That was a pass. But going from 10 to 11 in this case nets you a much better processor and GPU and Thunderbolt.

Your Mac will last a few years. But with every generation, the performance goes up for the same power input. The efficiency is a big bonus from that.

I guess, every year doesn't overly make sense, unless there is a substantial upgrade, or a couple quality of life changes. Like if the new iMac next year had slightly bumped specs with USB 3 or a glossy screen, I'd sell my 2011 one for it, in a heartbeat. But if it was just bumped specs, then I'd pass.

16. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes if you need want the absolute latest and greatest iMac every year to show it of to your friends, then yes it makes sense and its cheaper then apple care in the cases i know about

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

As much as I'd love to always have the newest model I can't see it being worth going through the resale dance every year. I'm on about a once every two years schedule.

No need to pass on buying Applecare even if you do think you might be selling the machine after a year. It is my experience that it significantly increases the resale value (more than the $120 I pay for it).

18. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Upgrading every year usually yields nothing better than a slight processor bump. Every 3-4 years IMO is the optimum time because the changes that it brings are more significant. Plus theres a lot less messing about copying all your files and data to a new machine every 12 months :p

19. MacHamster68, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes that is right for the informed buyer , but most just buy on ebay and pay the price you put on it as long as the iMac has no signcant scratches or faults , some even pay more then a refurbished would cost direct from apple with higher specs

i already stated the example in another post of a mate who has sold his 2010 iMac i5 and only payed £250 towards the top spec 2011 i7 , and he does that every year since 1997 in some years a new iMac did cost him even less then a ram module , ok he has every year a new iphone , iPad ,TV, and obviously car too from Porsche, as soon as something new is introduced he orders it and sell the old one
    and some just cant stand it to have something thats already older then 12 month

20. tsugaru macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Funny because a migration takes about an hour on my setup. My data is on a Drobo FS. It's already backed up for me.

21. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

If you want to, the option is there. No-one can stop you!

22. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

I agree with this way of looking at it.

Unless you're independently wealthy, break it down to numbers - what will it cost you, per unit of time, to replace it year-on-year?

I'm replacing mine with the 2011 model. Wrestled with my conscience about it for a while, but this is how I look at it - I'm only a student for one more year, which means the 12% discount and gratis three-year warranty will soon be unavailable to me - together, these save me about £390. I've been able to sell my current iMac with a loss of about £250.

These numbers, taken together, I consider acceptable.

23. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

Ive had the same iMac model for 3 years now, which has lasted me well but needed to change now. I plan to refresh my mac every 3 years just before the applecare expires on it. For which I should recoup %50 of original price to spend on the new Mac.

Now when it comes to my iPhone, thats a different story entirely! :D

24. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

I sold my 2008 duo-core iMac on Ebay for £970 and bought the i7 3.4GHz for £1880 so in real terms for £910 I got a machine which will last me at least another 3 years (once I get it sorted by swapping for the 2GB GPU)

Compared with PC's that are worthless once you unpack them, Macs have good resale value assuming you look after them.

25. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

How on earth did you manage to get just shy of a grand for that?!