Should I sell my iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dwhite78, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

I recently purchased an "ultimate" config rMBP. I have a 2011 MBA which I will be selling, and I also have a 2010 iMac. Since i got the MBA I've spent next to no time in front of the iMac unless I'm editing RAW photos. (MBA is a tad slow for processing 30 meg raw images)

You can see which iMac I have in my sig, how much of a speed difference will there be between the iMac and the rMBP. What about speed differences for light gaming? (And I do mean light gaming, I play d3 perfectly fine on my MBA)

Will the rMBP be as fast, or faster then the iMac when it comes to photo editing? (I understand lightroom and cs6 will not be upgraded for some time)

Lastly, assuming an updated retina aware Lightroom and Photoshop CS6, would you purchase a TB display for those times when you need a bit of extra screen real estate, or wait until an upgraded display comes out? (Perhaps with USB 3.0 and the updated Magsafe 2)

Edit: Mid 2010 iMac Version 2.93 processor

2. ppone macrumors regular

Yes I would sell the iMac. If your not using it, why keep it around. The less things the better.

I sold my MBA , iMac and Macbook pro for the rMBP and I feel so much lighter. :)

3. Dwhite78 thread starter macrumors regular

Any idea if the rMBP will be as fast, or faster then a 2010 iMac? (sans the SSD option)

4. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Invest $50 and turn it into a server if you think you could use one.
    iMacs make good servers.

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

only

The only reason I'm not selling my iMac is because i still want a bigger screen I'm so used to a 27

6. Dwhite78 thread starter macrumors regular

I've got a Mac Mini media server running plex, and serving iTunes, so I've got that all taken care of. Good suggestion though!

7. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

From someone who manages enterprise class servers all day that almost sounded like a joke. ;)

9. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Yes; suppose I should have used the words "home or small office" eh haha

10. Dwhite78 thread starter macrumors regular

This might be a stupid question.

But I downloaded geek bench on the iMac and got the following results.

[​IMG]

Since the rMBP in the config that I ordered gets 12000+ is it safe to assume that I will get better performance on the laptop out of programs like Lightroom and Photoshop?

11. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

In practical terms, yes. The overall experience won't be quite the same, giving up all that tasty screen, but if you've been acclimated to an MBA and raw performance is the only reason you've kept the iMac around, then yes. The rMBP will perform as well or better. Dump that sucka!

12. Dwhite78 thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent. Thanks all!