Should I sell my iMac?

jacksoncole0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
11
0
I have an almost maxed out 5k iMac 2014. If a new iMac is announced on the 27th, how much less will my iMac be worth? Would it be worth it to sell it and buy a new one?
 

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
131
73
Western NY
How badly do you need the features that are rumored to be included? While still relatively new electronics are like vehicles... as soon as they leave the store they depreciate. You can get an idea of what it is worth by looking at the completed listings for similar machines on eBay.
 

colodane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2012
789
254
Colorado
If your 2014 is maxed out, it will not be very likely that a 2016 will be significantly higher in performance. And, the expected debut of the 2016 is widely known, so is probably already affecting the resale value of recent used models. I'd recommend not selling now. Wait and see what comes along in the next couple years. You will probably will achieve the best overall value/performance by buying and selling every 4 or 5 years.
 

Macmamamac

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
146
51
I have an almost maxed out 5k iMac 2014. If a new iMac is announced on the 27th, how much less will my iMac be worth? Would it be worth it to sell it and buy a new one?

If you purchased the extra Apple Care, then it should still have a few months of left. This usually gets you a higher price as buyers can be certain that if anything is wrong with it, Apple will fix it.

So, it might be worth selling now. At the very least put it on eBay, or wherever, and let it run for a week. You can always cancel the order if you aren't happy with the price.
 

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
1,862
2,694
The Netherlands
The word "Hello" was used for the Macintosh 128k, the phrase "Hello again" was used for the iMac G3. Both marked a new era of Mac computers. Apple might update the iMac with radical new design, you never know.

So what if Apple did just that? You should probably sell your iMac because it will be worth less and the new iMac might offer new features. However, this should only be done if you're willing to deal with consequences like selling your old iMac for less because you're in a hurry, having no computer for a short period of time and being extremely disappointed when it turns out the new iMac was a minor spec bump.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Icaras

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
5,834
2,219
California, United States
The word "Hello" was used for the Macintosh 128k, the phrase "Hello again" was used for the iMac G3. Both marked a new era of Mac computers. Apple might update the iMac with radical new design, you never know.
This whole fact and comparison between the past two "hello" campaigns in Apple's history strengthens my belief more than ever now that the iMac is destined to get a redesign next week.
 

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
7,682
2,103
More importantly while we have some fairly solid indications of upgraded MacBook pros to be announced there are no solid rumours at all for any iMac updates at all. You are quite likely to sell it and find there is not going to be a new iMac for months.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
63,851
30,366
Boston
Is your iMac not fulfilling your needs now? What would the iMac have that your machine doesn't and is that crucial to you?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rmonster

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
1,862
2,694
The Netherlands
Take that idea a step further with all the rumors about a new display with a GPU and I think that's entirely posssible.
I know, I wasn't kidding. Although it would be way more expensive than my current setup (MacBook + 600$ Dell 4K monitor) it's still my idea of a perfect setup.
 

Malus120

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2002
272
265
Obviously it's a very personal decision.


I would advise that if you can get a good price for it, (after shipping/fees for online auctions), and you can afford to be without an iMac for a few days, then by all means sell it.


I'm selling mine and it came down to the following:

  1. Due to currency fluctuations, and Mac's holding their resale value well, I'm able to get a very good price for my iMac (I live in Japan) (paid around $3100, will likely get $2600-$2800 after fees and shipping).
  2. Even without a redesign or any radical change, the 2016 RiMacs are likely to bring significant enhancements to graphics (AMD Polaris, or if we’re really lucky Vega), IO (USB-C and Thunderbolt 3), and thermals (particularly over the 2014 models).
  3. The jump is likely to be large enough that even a mid range Retina iMac will outperform the highest end 2014 model (for graphics).
  4. The more serious the enhancements, the more your resale value drops going forward.
  5. Even though I have AppleCare, the 2014's thermal performance is just too concerning to risk once AppleCare is up in a year.
  6. I have a rMB to fall back on while I wait, and don't have any work dependent on my iMac at this time.

As I said however, everyone’s situation is different, and as others have pointed out, selling on a strict time table and with no guarantee of a release (or a shipping widow) is not without risk.

In the end only you can make the best decision for you.

PS, if you need a machine in the interim Apple DOES have a very flexible and generous return policy... just saying :p
 
Last edited:

Sirmausalot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
994
229
Are you editing 4K video? Are you into high end gaming? Do you make money from your computer that justifies a 10-20% performance gain in graphics or CPU power? How about a 50% gain?

Are you independently wealthy?

If you answer yes to 2 or more of those questions, then yes. But the new computer will not likely arrive on your doorstep until November some time.
[doublepost=1477064631][/doublepost]BTW, saw that you have a 2014, not a 2015. Yes dump it if you can make it all work. You'll love the 2016, whatever it is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AlexGraphicD

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
3,376
441
San Clemente, CA USA
Obviously it's a very personal decision.


I would advise that if you can get a good price for it, (after shipping/fees for online auctions), and you can afford to be without an iMac for a few days, then by all means sell it.


I'm selling mine and it came down to the following:

  1. Due to currency fluctuations, and Mac's holding their resale value well, I'm able to get a very good price for my iMac (I live in Japan) (paid around $3100, will likely get $2600-$2800 after fees and shipping).
  2. Even without a redesign or any radical change, the 2016 RiMacs are likely to bring significant enhancements to graphics (AMD Polaris, or if we’re really lucky Vega), IO (USB-C and Thunderbolt 3), and thermals (particularly over the 2014 models).
  3. The jump is likely to be large enough that even a mid range Retina iMac will outperform the highest end 2014 model (for graphics).
  4. The more serious the enhancements, the more your resale value drops going forward.
  5. Even though I have AppleCare, the 2014's thermal performance is just too concerning to risk once AppleCare is up in a year.
  6. I have a rMB to fall back on while I wait, and don't have any work dependent on my iMac at this time.

As I said however, everyone’s situation is different, and as others have pointed out, selling on a strict time table and with no guarantee of a release (or a shipping widow) is not without risk.

In the end only you can make the best decision for you.

PS, if you need a machine in the interim Apple DOES have a very flexible and generous return policy... just saying :p
Why would anybody pay that kind of money for a used iMac?
 

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
344
225
Somewhere In Time
More importantly while we have some fairly solid indications of upgraded MacBook pros to be announced there are no solid rumours at all for any iMac updates at all.
The iMac got a bump last year. Every other Mac has been bumpless for a couple years. I would not count on any iMac upgrades… except maybe a USB-C port or two.