iPad Should I sell my Ipad 4 for an Ipad Mini Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I just want something a little smaller, and it gets to be a pain holding the 4 up sometimes.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

If you can give up the extra screen estate, I don't see why not.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

As you used the qualifier, "sometimes" twice within your single sentence I'd state, keep your iPad4- as you're not ready to give it up just yet, and purchase a slightly used iPad miniR.

In fact, there is a member here selling his for right around $315. (over on the selling forum) and that's a steal.

The best of both worlds!

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I think so; if you want something smaller, the retina mini is perfect + its a spec bump up. So it seems like a win win!

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have always had full size iPads (1, 3, Air). Yesterday I picked up a rMini and I love it so far. It feels better to use out in public and fits in the back pocket of my jeans. The smaller text isn't a big deal for me. When I read the forums I just turn the rMini to landscape.

6. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I love the size of the rMini. It's perfect - not too big and not too small. Fits right with what I'm looking for in a trustworthy tablet. I'm sure you'll be happy with the rMini.

7. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Waiting for the should I sell my iPad mini and buy an air thread.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yes you should get rid of 4. Too heavy to hold it. Rmini is the one your arm will not feel tired.:apple:

9. M5RahuL, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014

M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I use both, the Air and rMini, and they're equally awesome! If you're going to be mobile [ mostly outdoors] with the iPad, the mini is the way to go... If it stays home [ for the most part], I'd suggest the Air.

Plus, like others have already stated, are you comfortable giving up the screen real estate ? Also, the volume [ speaker ] on the Air is way better than the mini.

Either way, Tmobile has a great promo going on right now wherein they're selling the LTE [ cellular ] versions of the tablet at the WiFi only models' price with at least 200MB data/month free for life!

Honestly though, if you're considering the Air at all, keep the iPad 4 and wait for the iPad 5 [ or whatever it'll be called ] at this point!

10. Count Blah, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014

Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

same thing for the iPhone 5c. But the homers don't want to hear about it.

Interesting article, provided the numbers can believed. Especially comparing the rMini to the iPad 3.

To the OP - at this point wait until the next release. Then trade in your existing model. Otherwise you will be kicking yourself.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm actually shocked by this statement: "If I had to boil down Apple's iPad problems to a single issue, it's that the new iPad Mini Retina is a flop. After five months on the market, the iPad Mini Retina accounts for just 3.7% of all iPad usage (as of Thursday). By contrast, the third-generation iPad (the first to offer a Retina display) still accounts for 13.6% of iPad usage, even though it was on the market for less than eight months in 2012."

The only thing that keeps me in the iPad fold are the 4:3 displays and the ecosystem which Amazon doesn't offer. The truth is there are cheaper better spec'd devices available so the iPad is coming under more pricing pressure. I was tempted to pickup a Kindle Fire HDX but I don't like having to side load apps because Amazon locks you out. Their web browser is still garbage even with all the improvements.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I do have an android phone but Apple is still king when it comes to Tablets. Partly due to the superior ecosystem /tablet specific apps but also due to the 4:3 aspect ratio. It's not as good as 16:9 for watching videos but it's better for everything else. Next weekend I'm going to buy a new tablet and I'm loathed to buy a larger android one because they can only be used comfortably in landscape mode, making them useless for pretty much everything but watching videos. I used to have a galaxy tab and in the end it became a glorified video watching device.

13. JAT macrumors 603

Wait for the next iteration of the Air, since it is only a few months away. It is very light. And with the narrower body, I can even palm it. It would probably meet your wish for "a little smaller", yet still be the big screen.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

You must have some big back pockets cus mine def. does not even come close to fitting in.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Just regular Old Navy jeans, size 34 haha.

16. Tsepz, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

I'm exactly the same, I simply can't leave iPad due to the ecosystem, I had a Galaxy Tab10.1, loved it but the apps were not great quality and not many were well optimized even to this day, got the iPad and I immediately went on an app+game buying spree, there was just soooo much available and ALL in high quality, beautifully optimized for the gorgeous Retina display.

Also let's not forget just how fast, smooth and fluid the iPads are compared to Android tablets, I mean in phones most Androids have caught up, but in tablets they still lag, be it the Xperia Tablet Z, Galaxy Note10.1 etc... All of them, even their latest iterations fall flat when it comes to performance compared to my 18month old iPad 4 on iOS 7.1.1, I simply can't go back.

iPad sales do seem to be suffering even in their latest results:
    GSMArena

To the OP

If you can handle the downsizing of display then go for it, the iPad rMini is more powerful to, so you do get a better experience all round. :)

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

There are a lot of tablets on the market now and most are cheaper than the iPad so it's inevitable. I think you have to have an iPad to understand that it really is the best tablet on the market. Even my iPad mini first gen with 2011 innards is better than any android tablet I've ever used. I've decided to buy the iPad Air this weekend.

OP, I have the original iPad mini and it is a wonderful device. It's so light and portable. The retina mini is sure to be even better. Even I'm a bit skeptical about getting the iPad Air, because I love my mini so much. I'm going to the Aople store at the weekend and will have a good play with both the air and the retina air to make sure before I buy.

18. dazz87 macrumors 6502

you should look into getting the Air. I still have my 4, and got my dad an Air and its much easier on the hands. Lighter and plus same screen size.

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Bad picture, but you get the point.

[​IMG]

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

Lol... I'm size 32 and my wallet barely fits in :p It's convenient though having it around like that. Just don't sit on it.

21. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I actually just put it in there so I could stop off and use the restroom on the way to lunch haha. :D

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Looks uncomfortable having it in your back pocket like that.

23. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Not at all. Obviously I wouldn't sit down like that. I was carrying it. From my office to my car.