should i sell my iphone on ebay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TommyLee, Jul 24, 2008.

1. TommyLee macrumors regular

normally, i stay out of the loop with all this iphone stuff and just make my calls, but I just saw something insane. a 16GB iPhone (model A1203) going for $900 on eBay... What the hell's going on?

dude, should I sell my iPhone on eBay?

2. mac'inmama macrumors regular

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Why not? Or you could give it away to a friend or relative...:p

4. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Have you ever sold anything on ebay before?
    Because my first-gen iPhone has been for sale on eBay for the last 6 days and it's got 1 day left. NO BIDS. Not a single one. I think its because I've never sold anything on eBay before and have no feedback.

5. Blackforge macrumors 6502

Actually its not "going" for anything at the moment since there are no bids. ;)

6. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Don't worry, a lot of bidding doesn't happen literally until the last 1 hour, and most at the last minute. People try not to bid over the 6 days as that gives the auction a chance to reach a higher price.

But yeah, your account could scare some away. Always helps to have some friendly photos that look like you are unique and real. Though, some people don't pay attention and bid $600 on empty boxes.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^I agree, sometimes within the last few minutes the bidding frenzy begins...:p

8. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

You never really can tell the price items go for until they are over, since most bidding is at the last minute. Try searching completed auctions to get an overall idea what they have been going for:

Like these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WOW-Apple-iPhon...hash=item270258784728&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iPhone-3G...hash=item160264815182&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-NEW-iPhon...hash=item220260994130&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Apple...hash=item110272990452&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1308

I don't have a chance to look those over, but how can they say Unlocked for some of them?

Makes you think, sell it would be nice if you don't want another one. But you have a $300 bill right now for the first, then $500 for replacement, so it's a wash. Unless you act like you lost your iPhone or broke it and bought another $500 16gb at ATT and then sold that for $800.

I hope when the new iPhones come out I can sell this 3G to help pay for that model.

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

People generally don't trust sellers that are selling high ticket items with zero feedback.

I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff because I have 146 feedback 100% positive. :cool:

10. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

lol I hope so!
    But my hope is slowly fading... =/

11. TommyLee thread starter macrumors regular

I've got 100% of 24, so I think I'm in good shape.

But my question is, why would people pay so much?

12. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

The iPhones will be going for $599-$699 with no contract soon from ATT at least, but that's about $750 for the 16gig model after tax. Then count that availability is still hard to get in a lot of places, so the demand from people who want their hands on one right now will pay even more. So $800 doesn't exactly sound ridiculous overall. But compared to the subsidized price, it may seem that way. Just my guess as a rough cause.

Before the PS3 came out, people were paying crazy prices just for a guaranteed one that would ship on launch from someone that prepaid at a gamestop. But after the PS3 launch, everyone tried to make a buck and flooded ebay with PS3s and suddenly the absurd price fell by half and was hardly worth the trouble for those that waited in line for days. I ended up buying one off ebay a $100 over retail. But really, not paying tax, and even after shipping, it wasn't that bad, and for all the trouble the seller went through, he might of only made $30-$50 off the whole thing. That wouldn't be worth my time to list on ebay and have to ship something. But the little premium I paid was worth it compared to calling stores every day and making blind checks for weeks incase I was lucky enough to find stock.

13. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

You were right!!
    My iPhone went for $415.
    The bidding shot up $50 in the last two minutes!

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats...see it works:p