Should I sell my iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Mar 8, 2009.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I just got a 3G to finally replace my original iphone.. and i am debating on selling it..

It has 2 cracks in the screen, but they are off of the actual screen and just in the upper right and lower left corners where the black is..

There is a dent from dropping it on the upper right where the headphone jack goes in, but theres no issue getting the jack in there, just doesnt look right

there are some usability issues (i think because of these drops) sometimes when I go to text, the keyboard doesn't show up and I have to turn off and turn back on. its not often, maybe 4 times in the past 3 months.

It OCASSIONALLY goes white. The entire screen will get white and theres nothing I can do about it.

Sometimes the entire SCREEN will freeze. So you will be in the keypad, but you can't touch anything.. but if a call comes in, you can touch where the ANSWER button would be and you can actually answer. Same thing if it gets stuck on the front screen (with the slider bar). If a call comes in, you swipe the slider, but it doesnt move, but then you touch where the ANSWER would be and it will answer and you can end the call just the same.

So with ALL of that, is it even worth selling it? I was initially going to just give it to someone who wanted an iphone but didnt have the money to buy one. Then the ATT guy told me that they are selling for $400 on the net, and even though mine was broken, i could get atleast $200..

I cant IMAGINE this is the case.. i mean, SERIOUSLY???

2. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Jajaja. You know how to fix ALL of those issues? just do a factory restore. And it'll be like new :)

3. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

you dont think that its because I dropped it too many times???

will a factory restore erase all of the info on the phone??

4. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

No, a restore WILL solve it.

And yes, it will delete everything. And after you restore it, set it up as a new phone, and not from a backup.

5. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

so should I sell it then??? I mean, i'm not gonna tell my husband its a fixable issue :) and have him return the new one!!!!

even with the cracks and stuff, will i get $200 for it?

6. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, sell it. And you'll probably get more than that :)

7. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

are you serious?? WHY would people spend that much money on that phone when you can get the new one for half that???

8. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Yes, the 3G is $200, with a forced data plan.

-Some people prefer the look of the first iPhone.
    -Some people prefer to use their phones on PAYG
    -Some people prefer cheaper, with no data, plans.

There could probably be some more reasons, can't think of them right now though

9. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I can understand wanting hte old one, but to pay MORE for one that is a little beat doesn't make sense..

Maybe i will just list it here just to SEE.. it cant hurt.

right now i am having some issues getting my contacts off the phone and onto address book

10. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Do you have a Mac? They should transfer and sync seamlessly

11. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

yes.. and thats what i thought.. I clicked SYNC and merged them, but NOTHING happened!! NO CHANGE! no to the address book OR the phone contacts!

12. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

alrighty.. this time it worked.. So syncing all my applications and contacts will have made it so that all the stuff thats on the phone is now on the computer and I can restore the phone, add the applications back, and give it to the person I wanted to, or sell it..

OR not add the applications.. doesnt matter, all my apps are free ones anyways except ewallet

13. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Exactly, just restore, and you are good to go :)

14. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

i did a factory restore just now.. everything is PERFECT on it! I just posted it in the market section to see if there is any interest. My husband is going to take some pictures that I will post later. He is a photographer so he can getsome REALLY good pics with good detail.

THANKS for the help!! now time to start setting up the NEW iphone!! woo hoO!

I was psyched at how amazingly fast the net was. I tested it in the ATT store with the wireless shut off.. amazing.. AND the store was RIGHT near where we live, so i know i will get the same service in my area.

15. theevilone macrumors member

16. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

eh.. I have some old phone for backup. I dont plan on DESTROYING this one, and i wont die if i'm a little while without it while apple has to fix it for some odd reason..

If i can get $200 for it to recover the cost of buying the new one, i will be REALLY happy.. if no one bites, then i will give it away

17. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

the phone is posted in the MARKET PLACE with detailed pictures and all if anyone is interested.

18. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Could you provide a link? I can't find the marketplace :eek:

19. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

It's at the top of the market place now. I just added some detIls I stupidly left out. Headlin is 2G iPhone $200 you can also search my post history by cliking on my name. Can't post a link because I'm on my phone

20. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng