Should I: sell my Mac Mini to buy a new Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by montanachad, Oct 12, 2008.

1. montanachad macrumors regular

montanachad

Hello,

I have a Mac Mini 1.5GHz G4, 1GB RAM, 19" wide screen monitor, and a PC laptop. I was wondering if I should sell all of my stuff and buy a new entry-level Macbook when they come out on Tuesday. Would I see much of a performance difference? The most processor intensive application I use is HandBrake (ripping DVDs). Otherwise I code XHTML and CSS and Java Script, watch movies, rip CDs in iTunes, and use iLife (iMovie 06, iPhoto 08), and I use Photoshop for batch process of images for photo galleries.

I know I'll need too upgrade sooner or later, so why not now!?

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

We will be able to better judge how much of an improvement you will get on Tuesday. But that said even with existing base macbook I'd say go for it.

3. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

you won't notice a difference in processor speed. only if you're encoding video like using final cut pro to edit and compress 2 hours of HD footage. the average consumer would not notice the difference and the mini is relatively new.

if you need a portable, get the macbook. if you don't need a portable, don't sweat it. if you don't need something, why get it? unless you have the cash to blow, then you shouldn't be asking and you'd just do it. if the computer is mainly going to be used at home, that is what a desktop is for. if you're constantly traveling the portable will suit you better.

4. montanachad thread starter macrumors regular

montanachad

I see some traveling and commuting in the near future. Keep in mine, my G4 Mac Mini will not run Final Cut and takes 9 hours to rip a DVD using HandBrake. Oh I will be getting a Macbook entry level, no upgrades if they look decent enough in specs. My student ID can get a MacBook for around a thousand US dollars. Also, I like using my laptop to set on the coffee table to cuddle and watch movies with my girlfriend.

5. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

If you are going to buy one wait a little in order to see the reviews.

6. montanachad thread starter macrumors regular

montanachad

Good idea! I'm not an impulse buyer. At least, I try not to hyperconsumerate. :D

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

YES!

A G4 to a C2D you will see a huge difference! I saw a big one from G5 to CD....G4 to C2D will be SO much nicer!

8. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

:) That way you know what to defects to check for when you buy yours. Cheers + Good Luck. :)

9. montanachad thread starter macrumors regular

montanachad

At school they have a G5 2.5GHz X 2 (or something like that) with 4GB of RAM and it rocks. SO I can't wait to get my hands on a C2D. :D

10. aplownspc macrumors newbie

if your thinking of doing more traveling defiantly go for it i doubt you would be disappointed but don't sell before they come out. study the new mac books first to see if they will suffice for what you need.