Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I can give it away for about the same price I invested in it..check my sig for specs.

I can live without it for a month (I have another computer) and if the new ones come, that'd be cool. If I lost money during this transaction, I wouldn't go with it.

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I can give it away for about the same price I invested in it..check my sig for specs.

I can live without it for a month (I have another computer) and if the new ones come, that'd be cool. If I lost money during this transaction, I wouldn't go with it.

I'm pretty sure you'd lose some money on the deal. I mean, the machine has a good resale value, but who ever breaks even when selling used hardware? I would expect some depreciation.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I'm pretty sure you'd lose some money on the deal. I mean, the machine has a good resale value, but who ever breaks even when selling used hardware? I would expect some depreciation.

I spent about $5,300 total. It's the top of the line one. I also have AppleCare (almost 3 years left). The machine is only about 4 months old. On the site if you configure it, it comes out to $6,500 with Apple's RAM.

MikeL

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Dream on as far as getting your money out of it. That's not generally how things happen when you purchase new hardware and try to dump it a few months later.

You'll lose a little selling it and buying a new one. That's to be expected.

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Theres no way you're going to get 100% of your money out of it. Why would someone buy it from you instead of just buying it new themselves?

You probably don't have to take too huge of a hit on it, but there's no real way you're getting 100% of your money back

Spikeanator6982

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Im gonna say, try to sell it if you want, ebays your best bet to get the same, close to, or more then u paid for it. and yes, any of those are possible. :)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Dream on as far as getting your money out of it. That's not generally how things happen when you purchase new hardware and try to dump it a few months later.

You'll lose a little selling it and buying a new one. That's to be expected.

I already have a buyer, and he's willing to pay me $5,500. I told him $5,300 is enough. I wouldn't make the thread if I didn't have a buyer already.

Just the "waiting" game is somewhat of a headache for me...I have another production machine that I can use for a while, but if Apple is going to take months and months with the new Mac Pro, then I'd rather sit on this one, you know? It just feels that they're about to release a new one anytime soon.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Why get rid of a high spec machine. I don't think the new ones will be much faster ... :confused:

Eh, if he has the option to sell it at cost after a few months than I'd say sell sell sell... and buy the new one which may be just that hair faster/better. Essentially you're getting an upgrade and 4 months AppleCare free.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
I bought a 12" Powerbook of ebay 2 years ago for 450$, sold it 8ish months later for 780$, upgraded the ram to 640mb, and added an airport extreme card.

Soo profited around 150$. I doubt I can do the same with my macbook though :(, I blame the lack of a video card.

waynesun

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Sell it, add some RAM, take the Glenn way.

I profited $1500 selling my Mac Pro. Do it ;-)

Man, Glenn, I was thinking about buying an MP for these reasons as well. How much ram did you outfit the beast with?

Also, can you say your MBP is a fitting successor in filling in what the Mac Pro came short of?

dexterwheeler

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2008
Sorry kinda new to this. I wanna buy a mac pro 8. But is their a newer mac pro coming out soon? If so when?

Delameko

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
I bought a MacBook Pro a few months back. Within the first week of owning it I decided a laptop wasn't for me (it was giving me a bad neck) and wanted to sell it.

Turns out as soon as its open its next to impossible to get more than the refurbished cost for it. Bought it for £1100, sold it for £920 two weeks after it was opened (I only used it three times).

That's some harsh depreciation. :(

If you can sell it for what you paid, do it, I say.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
That just sounds a little loony. Breaking even so you get a shot that there might be new ones in a month?

Give me a break man.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
There's a sucker born every minute, and you'd have to be a sucker to pay full retail for a used machine.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Sorry kinda new to this. I wanna buy a mac pro 8. But is their a newer mac pro coming out soon? If so when?

That's the problem. Anyone who really knows the answer has signed a non-disclosure agreement. Anyone who is talking does not know and is just making stuff up or repeating what he read from some Internet site.

The best advice always is this: "if you need a computer now, buy a computer now. if you don't need a computer don't buy one."

There's a sucker born every minute, and you'd have to be a sucker to pay full retail for a used machine.

My favorite story along these line was a guy selling "like new" scuba tanks on eBay. He had a "buy it now" button set for $125. The local scuba shop was selling tanks for $100. When some poor sucker clicked his "buy it now" button he'd simply go to the store and buy a tank for $100 and pocket $25 and over charge for shipping and take aonther $10. Every Friday the guy would come into the store and buy 6 or 8 tanks.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
OMG - can people PLEASE read the original post date.

I hate it when threads like this get resurected

waynesun

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
Looking at the Intel roadmap for desktop processors, I think it's safe to say that there will be barely noticeable changes to the MP line. They may opt for 16-core.. but honestly, who will need that much power for personal computing? If there were to be processor refreshes, i'm sure the current LGA775 sockets would be obliged to support them.

The MP is a silent and beautiful steel behemoth. As a few posts above me said: if you need a computer, buy one. The current-gen MP holds its value pretty well, and if you need to switch to something more mobile (MBP, wink wink), you can always take Glenn's way out and make some money back in the process.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Looking at the Intel roadmap for desktop processors, I think it's safe to say that there will be barely noticeable changes to the MP line. They may opt for 16-core.. but honestly, who will need that much power for personal computing?

there's always someone who needs more

OMG - can people PLEASE read the original post date.

x2

Well, he could load it up with more RAM. Considering how elevated Apple's RAM prices are, the computer could appear to be at a significant discount while still being profitable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.