Should I sell my Macbook and get a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mleibowi, Jun 5, 2008.

1. mleibowi macrumors member

Hi All,

I got a white macbook 2.4GHz Intel core duo (penryn), uprgraded RAM to 4GB, and have a 250GB HD. I'm a grad student and I use my computer mostly for word processing, but I also like to use flash but it causes my MB to get really hot and the image quality is fair. I also run parallels, which can cause the computer to get really hot. Despite upgrading the memory with my macbook, it seems to not like flash or memory intensive software. I chose to get the MB since I'm not an engineer, and I don't really need a video card, but now I'm kind of regretting my decision. I guess 500 dollars wasn't worth a video card to me at the time, but maybe now it is. Anybody else struggle with similar issues? Anybody really happy with getting a MB vs MBP?

Thanks.

2. guru_ck macrumors 6502

My MBP gets just as hot as your MB. Try smsFanControl.

I agree, the display on a MBP is much brighter and has better clarity than a MB.

If I was you I would wait to see what happens with the MacBook/Pro line later this year. If they move the MacBook to aluminum I might consider switching for the better portability factor.

3. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Regrettably the misconception that you do not need a good video card unless your gaming is not only widely held but even on this site widely promoted.

The short answer is when ANYTHING graphical occurs on the display the video card is doing the work. Thus a faster video-card means smoother and quicker.

When your doing any large image manipulations, video work, flash animations, games, your GPU is doing a lot of work as well as your CPU. I think in these days of digital media you wouldn't be far wrong if you thought of a GPU almost as another processor...like having a 'third core' in your core duo but dedicated to making anything your working with smooth and fluid on the screen.

Laptops do get hot but that's nothing to get worried especially concerned with. Desktop CPU's also get hot when taxed but the airy enclosures stop you realising it as much...

The screen on the MBP is top of the class.