Should i sell my Macbook and get a new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ryn8976, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Ryn8976 macrumors newbie

Hey, I have an old Macbook im pretty sure it is the late 2007 santa rosa model one. I heard that there was going to be a new Macbook Pro coming out pretty soon because its due for a refresh, so i was thinking of selling my old macbook to get a new macbook pro when theyre released but im not sure if it would be worth it.

A main reason i was thinking of getting one was for the graphics card, but pretty much for an all around better computer too. Ive just been really wanting one for a while and it seemed like its about a good time since the new models will be out soon hopefully. But i wasn't really sure if that was a good enough reason to get one. :p

I just wanted to know other people opinions about what i should do.

2. Shirotai macrumors member

Shirotai

My suggestion is to wait for the new release, read the specs and then make your own decision. Then you'll know for sure that it's something you need or not.

Best wishes and enjoy the wait!

3. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

I have been going through the same thing in my mind recently too.

I just bought my Macbook a few months ago, though. I just really regret my decision due to the MB being all white. I don't use my laptop that much and the keys are getting a bit dirty (for lack of a better word) and the laptop itself isn't dirty per se, but it shows EVERYTHING and it irritates me.

I was thinking about trying to trade someone my MB and maybe 2-300 dollars, depending upon the condition of their MBP.

But then I thought I should just wait til the new MBP's come out. Oh I don't know.

4. Ryn8976 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Shirotai, good advice. thats what ill probably do.

And yeah pdot i know what you mean. I like the all white but it does seem to show all the dirt and every little thing, gotta clean it every once in a while. And now my macbook is looking worse cause the edges on the top part and bottom are chipping off. But yeah also the MBP's have a backlit keyboard which i would like better and the screen i heard is better too. Also another reason i was thinking of getting the pro was because i would be using it for my main computer so if i do get into more gaming id be able to, and just have an all around better computer.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Apple will replace the chipped part for free. Just make an appointment at an Apple store.

Want to keep the outside white?: http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru/macbook-13-new-white-unibody/207

6. Ryn8976 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow i didnt know that they would replace the chipped parts for free. But i do not have applecare or still have the 1 year warranty because i got it in early 2008 or late 2007. I'll probably call the store and find out. Thanks for letting me know that.

7. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Yea Apple will usually replaced the chipped parts for free even if its out of warranty (its a documented known issue).

One thing to keep in mind though, is when the new MBP's come out your current macbooks will drop in market value so you'll be able to sell it for less. Just something to keep in mind.

8. Ryn8976 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah i didnt think of that either. Now i really have to decide soon if im going to get the new MBP cause ill want to sell the macbook i have now before they are released.

9. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

I have been looking for a case or skin for it, but i'm so picky and I can't find any in stores (so I can see and feel it), except this bulky one in Best Buy. I was also thinking about getting the keyboard protector that I saw someone had in another thread.

10. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

To keep your macbook clean/less-prone-to-scratches you can also consider the "skin" products (basically a clear film that sticks onto your Mac) such as:

www.zagg.com
    www.bestskinsever.com

Its kinda a pain to put on, and does make your Mac look super glossy (the body), but it protects against scratches and addes almost no bulk/weight. I personally use bestskinsever as its like 50% the price of Zagg InvisibleShield.

11. Arrandale macrumors regular

Do not do anything right now. New macbook pros are right around the corner.

12. Ryn8976 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i know. I just wasnt sure if it would be worth it to sell the macbook i have now and then get a new MPB once theyre released. Or if that would just be overkill.

13. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

This might be a silly question, but I would like to make sure.. and it seems a bit too small to start a whole new thread about it..

If I were to buy a case that says it's for a 13" MBP, would this also fit (with all the same opening for ports, etc) on my Macbook?

I'm thinking about buying the Black Satin Speck case.

14. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Which Macbook do you have? If you're talking about "generic" cases like sleeves and messenger bags, than any of them designed for 13" MBP's should fit (although the new unibody white Macbook 2.26GHz is slightly wider than the current 13" MBP so some cases that are super form-fighting may be tight. Example being the super popular Incase Neoprene sleeves designed for 13" MBP and older macbooks is kinda tight on the white unibody Macbook 2.26GHz).

If you are referring to the Invisible Shields or those hardshell cases (Speck or Incase) they won't just fit your Macbook if you get a model designed for the 13" MBP as the ports are in different places.