Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amasashi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2010
To make a long story short, I first ventured into the world of Mac with the 2009 MacBook Pro 13 baseline model. I was a stereotypical iPhone halo effect convert, but was still skeptical about spending so much money on a computer, so I went for the cheapest Pro model.

I ended up loving my Mac so much that 6 months later, I splurged on a 2009 iMac 27 baseline model, and I could not be happier. The screen size is absolutely amazing and the speed is lightning fast.

The only downside is that ever since I got my iMac, my MBP 13 has been sitting on my desk unused. I turn it on maybe 1-2 times a month when I need to take it somewhere, but 99% of the time it's just collecting dust.

I'm wondering if I should sell the MBP 13 while it still commands a high value. It's a shame to let go of such a great computer after only half a year, but it also seems like a waste to just let it sit there doing nothing.

So, should I sell the 2009 MBP 13, or should I just keep it around for the once in a blue moon time I need portability or as a backup?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yes, if you're not using it at all and don't need something portable sell it now while it is still going to get you a decent return. Note that when you are eligible to sell here you won't get nearly as much as you would on eBay, but unlike eBay you won't deal with eBay selling and final value fees or the hassle of being scammed. You should work on selling locally if you can, just be safe about it and good luck.

TrojanX

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Houston, Tx
I, personally, would sell it but, that all depends on your needs and uses. I personally need portability because I'm about to go into college but, if you are just working in your office or home I would suggest selling it.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
If your MBP has been trouble free and dependable, and you really like it, you are probably somewhat subconsciously attached to it, and will go through a period of , "Why did I do that?" if you sell it - seller's remorse. In the extreme, I'm sure some people do treat their MPBs like pets.

There is a way to look at this analytically. Let's say it cost you $1200, and after 3 years it could have a resale value of $700, strictly hypothetical. The loss in value is $500, which spread over 36 months is approx $14 per month. Is it worth $14/mo to you, to keep it? I know that the monthly drop in resale value will not be linear, but this gives you a basis to work with.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
To make a long story short, I first ventured into the world of Mac with the 2009 MacBook Pro 13 baseline model. I was a stereotypical iPhone halo effect convert, but was still skeptical about spending so much money on a computer, so I went for the cheapest Pro model.

I ended up loving my Mac so much that 6 months later, I splurged on a 2009 iMac 27 baseline model, and I could not be happier. The screen size is absolutely amazing and the speed is lightning fast.

The only downside is that ever since I got my iMac, my MBP 13 has been sitting on my desk unused. I turn it on maybe 1-2 times a month when I need to take it somewhere, but 99% of the time it's just collecting dust.

I'm wondering if I should sell the MBP 13 while it still commands a high value. It's a shame to let go of such a great computer after only half a year, but it also seems like a waste to just let it sit there doing nothing.

So, should I sell the 2009 MBP 13, or should I just keep it around for the once in a blue moon time I need portability or as a backup?

If it were me, I would keep it on standby. Not as backup, but for the odd instances when you need to be mobile and connected to the iMac across the Web or something. However, I know not many think the way I do, in which case you'd be wise to sell now to maximize your return. Figure $1,000 if it's in flawless condition is more than reasonable. Do Craigslist, not eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.