Should I sell my MBA 2018 base model and get the new MBP base model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kraizelburg, Jul 28, 2019.

  1. Kraizelburg macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2018
    Location:
    Spain
    #1
    I wonder if anyone is in the same situation. I purchased a MBA base model in dec 2018 to do my masters. at the time the MBP was very expensive and I really didn't need the extra power but now I'm wondering whether I should sell my MBA anf get the new MBP base model.

    Any advice?

    Thanks
     
  2. chabig macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2002
    #2
    If the new one will make you happy and can afford it, get it.
     
  3. Sully macrumors regular

    Sully

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    #3
    You've already taken a hit in value on the 2018 because it's a used computer now. My point of view is that if this is working for you, keep it until is doesn't work for you anymore.

    It's great to have the latest and greatest, but if what you have works, keeping it until it fails makes the most economic sense. I kept a 2007 MacBook Pro until 2016. (I upgraded the spinning hard drive to an SSD and maxed out the RAM) I feel like I got great value from it. Don't waste your money on computer equipment that you don't need unless it's hobby for you.
     
  4. mtneer macrumors 68030

    mtneer

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #4
    You made a determination that the MBA was good enough in December for your needs. And you've been working on it for the past 6 months. Did something change now that you "need" the extra power - or do you just "want" it? If its the latter, and you are not an extraordinarily privileged student, then its not wise to eat depreciation twice buying two new products so close to each other. I would ride the MBA until it either stopped working or I found a workflow that it could no longer do.
     
  5. kindaichi81 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2015
    #5
    no point. wait until it retires before getting a new one. it is a waste of money to simply upgrade to the latest model.
     
  6. Kraizelburg thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2018
    Location:
    Spain
    #6
    My point was going from macbook air to a more powerful macboo PRO. Maybe I should wait till the new MBP refresh that hopefully will come with 10th gen chip...?
     
  7. Steve121178 macrumors 601

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #7
    If your current machine does everything you need it to then there's no point.
     
  8. chabig macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2002
    #8
    As an Apple stock owner, I respectfully disagree and encourage to the OP to purchase any Mac he wants any time he wants!
     
  9. Steve121178 macrumors 601

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #9
    I am only concerned with providing good advice.
     
  10. jerryk macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #10
    Chasing technology is a never ending pursuit. Ever year something faster and better appears. Unless your current setup is giving you issues for your workload, I would wait a few years. By then Apple may have system based on their own chips running much fast and cooler.
     

Share This Page

9 July 28, 2019