Should I sell my MBP 17"?

rogerh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
91
1
Ok to start off...

I was going to get a 15.4 MBP w/ Merom but I got a great deal on a used two week old 17" MBP w/ 2 gigs of ram for $2150. I found someone locally who will buy it for $2400.

Do you think I should just keep it or sell it and wait for something better? I probably will never get a deal like this again...

I really like the MBP but I feel i dont take full advantage of it. I do a lot of 3D work and the software I use there is no universal binaries available. Also I do have bootcamp installed but it just seems like a waste, especially when I have a Intel Core 2 Duo Allendale @ 3.2GHz PC Desktop at home hooked up to a 2407FPW.

I really do like the MBP a lot, especially since school just started, the 17" screen is nice. I LOVE OSX but all I would really use it for is to browse internet, aim, notes, etc.

Here are some of my options

-Keep it and be happy
-Sell it for $2400, buy a 15.4 MBP with Merom when it comes out
-Sell it, wait for Leopard/Santa Rosa... hopefully by the time universal binary versions of Maya and ZBrush will be available so I can actually do work in OSX instead of bootcamping Windows.
-Sell it, just buy a normal Macbook
-Sell it, buy a Windows Notebook (New Asus with core2 duo?)
-Sell it, just use my Windows desktop and keep the $250 profit.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the dumb question :)
 

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
995
0
Perth, Oztrailya
Heck, I'd sell it, but only because I wouldn't need it and you hadly ever make a profit on technology. And sounds like it's overkill for you. Sell and wait for the new MacBook revision. And for Leopard.
 

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
905
2
Copenhagen
rogerh said:
Ok to start off...

I was going to get a 15.4 MBP w/ Merom but I got a great deal on a used two week old 17" MBP w/ 2 gigs of ram for $2150. I found someone locally who will buy it for $2400.

Do you think I should just keep it or sell it and wait for something better? I probably will never get a deal like this again...

I really like the MBP but I feel i dont take full advantage of it. I do a lot of 3D work and the software I use there is no universal binaries available. Also I do have bootcamp installed but it just seems like a waste, especially when I have a Intel Core 2 Duo Allendale @ 3.2GHz PC Desktop at home hooked up to a 2407FPW.

I really do like the MBP a lot, especially since school just started, the 17" screen is nice. I LOVE OSX but all I would really use it for is to browse internet, aim, notes, etc.

Here are some of my options

-Keep it and be happy
-Sell it for $2400, buy a 15.4 MBP with Merom when it comes out
-Sell it, wait for Leopard/Santa Rosa... hopefully by the time universal binary versions of Maya and ZBrush will be available so I can actually do work in OSX instead of bootcamping Windows.
-Sell it, just buy a normal Macbook
-Sell it, buy a Windows Notebook (New Asus with core2 duo?)
-Sell it, just use my Windows desktop and keep the $250 profit.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the dumb question :)
If you like OSX then stick with Apple. As you mentioned binaries will come.
If you don't need a portable then sell it. Time won't get you more money only less.
If you in the future find a need for a portable then get a Merom 15'4" MBP. You can always hook it up to your 2407FPW. I would not advice you to get a MacBook for 3D.

Bottom line: Sell it and wait
 

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
6,746
1,023
I would definately sell it, that is a seriously good deal that is offered to you. Then I would either buy a Merom MBP, or a Merom MacBook. Which ever one you think duits you best.
 

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
229
28
New York, New York
sell it and wait for a 64-bit quad core MBP. it should be available in a year or so...

But if you're in college and want a laptop for class and what not, I'd recommend you buy a cheap and light laptop (e.g. Macbook) and have the desktop in your dorm.
 

aog

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2006
27
0
México.
I´d definitely keep it. I think it doesn´t matter if you´ll only use OS X for basic stuff, the 17" MBP is an amazing machine.
 

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
1,758
0
California
rogerh said:
I really do like the MBP a lot, especially since school just started, the 17" screen is nice. I LOVE OSX but all I would really use it for is to browse internet, aim, notes, etc.
I'd sell it, and buy a Macbook. The low end one.
 

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
263
0
i'd sell it and wait it out since it doesnt seem like you are in dire need of power. like someone mentioned before its hard to earn $$ since technology's value depreciates so quickly. if nothing you like comes out in the next few months you can always get another MBP. :)
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,566
95
ironic23 said:
i'd sell it and wait it out since it doesnt seem like you are in dire need of power. like someone mentioned before its hard to earn $$ since technology's value depreciates so quickly. if nothing you like comes out in the next few months you can always get another MBP. :)
and probably lose a few $$$ in the process. But its up to them of course :)
 

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
292
80
Fargo, ND
steamboat26 said:
sell it and buy a 15 incher later. Why not make a couple bucks? :cool:
thats exactly what to do. you can always wait, get a 15 in, and then get a 20 inch display external for $250 when youre ready:D