Should I sell my MBP 17"?

rogerh

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Ok to start off...

I was going to get a 15.4 MBP w/ Merom but I got a great deal on a used two week old 17" MBP w/ 2 gigs of ram for $2150. I found someone locally who will buy it for $2400.

Do you think I should just keep it or sell it and wait for something better? I probably will never get a deal like this again...

I really like the MBP but I feel i dont take full advantage of it. I do a lot of 3D work and the software I use there is no universal binaries available. Also I do have bootcamp installed but it just seems like a waste, especially when I have a Intel Core 2 Duo Allendale @ 3.2GHz PC Desktop at home hooked up to a 2407FPW.

I really do like the MBP a lot, especially since school just started, the 17" screen is nice. I LOVE OSX but all I would really use it for is to browse internet, aim, notes, etc.

Here are some of my options

-Keep it and be happy
-Sell it for $2400, buy a 15.4 MBP with Merom when it comes out
-Sell it, wait for Leopard/Santa Rosa... hopefully by the time universal binary versions of Maya and ZBrush will be available so I can actually do work in OSX instead of bootcamping Windows.
-Sell it, just buy a normal Macbook
-Sell it, buy a Windows Notebook (New Asus with core2 duo?)
-Sell it, just use my Windows desktop and keep the $250 profit.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the dumb question :)

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Heck, I'd sell it, but only because I wouldn't need it and you hadly ever make a profit on technology. And sounds like it's overkill for you. Sell and wait for the new MacBook revision. And for Leopard.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
rogerh said:
Ok to start off...

I was going to get a 15.4 MBP w/ Merom but I got a great deal on a used two week old 17" MBP w/ 2 gigs of ram for $2150. I found someone locally who will buy it for $2400.

Do you think I should just keep it or sell it and wait for something better? I probably will never get a deal like this again...

I really like the MBP but I feel i dont take full advantage of it. I do a lot of 3D work and the software I use there is no universal binaries available. Also I do have bootcamp installed but it just seems like a waste, especially when I have a Intel Core 2 Duo Allendale @ 3.2GHz PC Desktop at home hooked up to a 2407FPW.

I really do like the MBP a lot, especially since school just started, the 17" screen is nice. I LOVE OSX but all I would really use it for is to browse internet, aim, notes, etc.

Here are some of my options

-Keep it and be happy
-Sell it for $2400, buy a 15.4 MBP with Merom when it comes out
-Sell it, wait for Leopard/Santa Rosa... hopefully by the time universal binary versions of Maya and ZBrush will be available so I can actually do work in OSX instead of bootcamping Windows.
-Sell it, just buy a normal Macbook
-Sell it, buy a Windows Notebook (New Asus with core2 duo?)
-Sell it, just use my Windows desktop and keep the $250 profit.

What do you guys think? Sorry for the dumb question :)
If you like OSX then stick with Apple. As you mentioned binaries will come.
If you don't need a portable then sell it. Time won't get you more money only less.
If you in the future find a need for a portable then get a Merom 15'4" MBP. You can always hook it up to your 2407FPW. I would not advice you to get a MacBook for 3D.

Bottom line: Sell it and wait

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
I would definately sell it, that is a seriously good deal that is offered to you. Then I would either buy a Merom MBP, or a Merom MacBook. Which ever one you think duits you best.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
sell it and wait for a 64-bit quad core MBP. it should be available in a year or so...

But if you're in college and want a laptop for class and what not, I'd recommend you buy a cheap and light laptop (e.g. Macbook) and have the desktop in your dorm.

aog

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2006
México.
I´d definitely keep it. I think it doesn´t matter if you´ll only use OS X for basic stuff, the 17" MBP is an amazing machine.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
rogerh said:
I'd sell it, and buy a Macbook. The low end one.

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
i'd sell it and wait it out since it doesnt seem like you are in dire need of power. like someone mentioned before its hard to earn $$ since technology's value depreciates so quickly. if nothing you like comes out in the next few months you can always get another MBP. :)

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
ironic23 said:
i'd sell it and wait it out since it doesnt seem like you are in dire need of power. like someone mentioned before its hard to earn $$ since technology's value depreciates so quickly. if nothing you like comes out in the next few months you can always get another MBP. :)
and probably lose a few $$$ in the process. But its up to them of course :)

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
steamboat26 said:
sell it and buy a 15 incher later. Why not make a couple bucks? :cool:
thats exactly what to do. you can always wait, get a 15 in, and then get a 20 inch display external for $250 when youre ready:D