Should I sell my MBP Classic for a New Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peapody, Oct 23, 2008.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Is this just crazy? I am not sure where I would lose function, and where I would gain it. The glossy is no big deal to me, and the lack of firewire is okay as well. I am going based on speed and looks at this point. What are your opinions?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Why? You have not told us why you wish to do this? It does not make much sense, as, despite the impressive upgrades, the MBP is still a better machine. Looks, well, the MBP is a good looking computer. You'd be losing power, performance, and the far superior screen of the MBP, better quality and bigger screen. Wait until the next upgrades.
    Cheers

4. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

That is just the point. I wanted to know if the macbook as surpassed my classic MBP in the new revisions, so you cleared that up for me I believe.

I have a C2D 2.16 2gb ram and 120gb hdd. This machine has the X1600 so I just wanted to know where it stood with the new MB line.

5. ATimson macrumors regular

Well, your "classic" MBP isn't the newest pre-aluminum generation, which is what he seems to be considering.

Well, the new MacBooks come by default with a slightly slower processor (2.0 GHz, upgradable to 2.4 GHz w/backlit keyboard--can't get one without the other), but with a faster bus speed (1067 MHz vs. 667 MHz), same amount of RAM, and a larger hard drive.

The graphics aren't as good as the X1600, but they're a fair amount better than the old Intel integrated chips the MacBooks used to have.

Outside of video games, the MacBook should perform as well as (or better than if you spring for the 2.4 GHz option) your old MacBook Pro--and that's not even considering things like the hardware H.264 decoding the new MacBooks do.

6. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

no. let you comp become obsolete in another 2-3 years, then buy the best thing that is out at that time. they only get better and better, brother. stick with what you have until it doesn't do what you need it to do. if you get rid of it now, you'll want the new ones that are coming out in a few months. you'll never break out of it dude. i used to work at apple and i was on a 6-12 month plan. it got ridiculous. stick with what you need and deal with it. new ones are always coming out. just be thankful enough that it is not a pc that dies after 6 months or runs windows. you got a great machine, its a mac. deal.

7. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Id probably stick with your current machine. For most things yours probably has the edge over the low end aluminum macbook, and if nothing else definitely has a nicer screen. Ride it out for a little while and see what comes up. A quad core sounds real nice :D

8. nph macrumors 6502a

Hot hot_

Hi

I have the original MBP 1.8 and the one ting I hate about it is the heat. Just having it on and running nothing makes it how. Start to surf the web and it is too hot to touch or have in the lap. (Dont even think VMWare...). I like to move around with my laptop and actually use it in my lap which I right now require a coolpad for!:mad:

That is my motivation to look for another laptop. LIke the poster I dont care about the lack of Firewire since I have an old imac as well that works well.

How is the heat of the MBP last generation (Penryn 2.4) that I can currently get cheaper online then the new MacBoook compared to the heat put out by the new MacBook?

Thanks

9. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

I have the rev A mbp also! 1.83ghz / 1gb / 100gb / 128mb card.

I'd love a new machine, but the resale value on the one I have now... well, it's probably worth more to me now than I'd get from selling it! You're right about the heat, though.

You're looking at a macbook? I think they're good looking, but I've come from a powerbook 12in to a mbp 15in, so logically, a new mbp would be the successor, but with the similar looks now (not a big fan of the old polycarbonate!) the macbook would tempt me also.

Small screen though...

10. nph macrumors 6502a

Actually, I was waiting forever for the old 12" PB to get the backlit keyboard. Never happened so I went with the MBP when it came out.

I actually look forward to a smaller 'book' to use again since my old Pismo 13" to me was perfect size. MBP is ok but I dont feel I need the size.
    :eek:

Now, when will Amazon start their mail in rebate for these new machines? Hopefully next week when the rebate on the old ones run out!
    :D

11. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

For me, the upgrade doesn't make sense. And while you make think a lack of 1894. While 2.0 can replace 1894 for some functions, the minute you want to import some DV, you'll be very upset. Frankly, the performance difference will be so marginal that it wont be worth the extra price. Now, if you'd consider the new MBP- that's different. :cool:

12. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't if you really want something new get a refurb penryn MBP.

13. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I dont know what the new macbooks feel like as I havnt been lucky enough to play with one. I did have a mbp 2.2 merom, and my 2.4 penryn is much cooler. The thing is I never found either of them to be uncomfortably warm.

14. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

The problem with that would be my fear of the nvidia chips. I would not want to spill so much money just to have something burn out 3 years down the road.

Thanks for the input guys. I am thinking about upgrading the hdd and memory on my current mbp now (cheaper than buying a new one haha). The only problem is that I want to keep my apple care in tact (it's a refurb so I have my one year till march and I plan on buying apple care for it). Sigh. Don't want to have warranty issues down the road if I up the hdd. I am really needing the space.

15. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Nahhh, I was in the Apple store today and they do look very nice, but have barely any functionality differences compared to the older models. Wait until Apple comes out with a faster, or cheaper version.