Should I sell my MBP for a MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Reikochan, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Reikochan macrumors member

So I am going to be going to college soon for a computer science major and I need some advice. I currently own a MacBook pro 13in from 2011. It's a good computer and I feel like it could handle coding and other things good enough.

The problem is this thing is massive! I weigh 95 pounds ( I'm a girl, in case the computer science major through you off...) and have really scrawny arms so carrying the MBP around is a real pain. When I purchased it I didn't think the size would be that big of a deal. I thought 13in should be ultra portable but it really isn't with it's weight. I couldn't imagine carrying the MBP and books as well.

So I am thinking about selling it, adding some money to it and going to a 11in or 13in MBA. My question is, for my uses which MBA would suit me best? Does it handle coding okay? The small screen isn't a big deal because I'm just going to hook it up to my bigger monitor at home. Does my current MBP handle programs better in anyway that would justify keeping it even with its size?

Thanks!

2. sumone macrumors regular

JMO, but I would keep the MBP. I am majoring in computer science and I have a 2011 13" MBP. I considered getting the MBA but I really can't see much justification for one other than the lighter weight.

I guess another factor would be how often you travel with your mac. I noticed that in most cases I really can avoid bringing my laptop with me. Many students in my academic program just carry a usb drive and complete their programs on the lab computers when on campus.

3. Reikochan thread starter macrumors member

I plan on taking my laptop with me everywhere. It would be wonderful for note taking as well as doing all of my school work on it. Which is why I am considering the air instead.

I also plan on it being my main machine at home. I have a desktop for anything that is just hugely intensive that I have built myself, but my husband will mostly be using that, so I need my laptop to do everything that I need it to.

4. Tcache macrumors member

I was in the same boat except I had the MBA and thought I should probably go for the MBP. I just got the new MBP, threw in 16GB of ram and SSD and could not be happier. Keep the MBP, the power to weight ratio isn't worth it to downgrade.

5. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Why do you bring it in your arms at first place? :D

[​IMG]

6. Reikochan thread starter macrumors member

Did you notice a power difference between the two machines? Does the MBP run faster than the MBA with a SSD? I know if I do keep the MBP, which I am now leaning towards, I would have put a SSD in it to be completely happy with it, minus the weight issue, of course.

Thanks for the reply!

7. Tcache macrumors member

I had the SSD in the MBA as well but only 4GB of ram because they are soldered. As of right now the MBP is much more powerful and runs very fast, I can have hella apps running with no lag. I installed the Samsung 830 series SSD the day after though, I wouldn't ever go back to a regular disk hard drive. If you do keep the MBP, buy a SSD, it's actually more important to your speed than the ram.

8. 3dflyboy1, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a 2011 MacBook pro 13, and I have an thread posted in the marketplace here. So if you do decide to sell... :)

Edit, I bought one just yesterday. SSD+HDD ftw. :D