Should I sell my old MBP to get the new one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eggtastic, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I currently have a late 2006 2.16 ghz, 2 gig ram, 120 HDD macbook pro. it runs fine, superdrive stopped working so I am going to take it to apple to have them check it out. battery is shot but if I plan to sell it I will buy a new one.

Heres my theory and sorry if this obvious, I figured now would be the time to sell this mbp, include the wireless mouse, and speaker set (2 speakers and subwoofer) to purchase a low end brand new mbp.

Why? because I can wait until this computer completely craps out and spend another $1,800 on one down the line, or just sell it now, make some $$$$ off it, (shooting for around 900) and put that towards the new one.

The only issue is I do use it everyday, but i dont do any video editing, minor photoshop, the rest is surfing the web, word doc, movies, music.

Thoughts?

2. ethical macrumors 68000

Sounds like a good plan. I don't know why you're hesitating?

3. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Because I don't do any video or photo editing that would take advantage of the new chips. But I do use it for everyday use (web, music, mail). Then again its been 3.5 years and I feel economically this would be a good move to save myself $$$ in the future. I also can argue how damn good they look and run.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

MacToSell quotes your MBP at around $680.
    Given your battery/superdrive are an issue you would get even less, more likely around $500

5. w4rmk macrumors regular

w4rmk

FYI you can replace the defective DVD drive yourself if you are handy, would be quite a bit cheaper than paying for the repair. I think the thing you'll appreciate most if you upgrade is the unibody construction. The rigidity and quality is amazing.