Should I sell my Pro for an Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bill Killer, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Bill Killer macrumors 6502

Hello,

I currently have a Fall 2009 Macbook Pro.

Specs:

-15.4" screen, 1440x900
    -Dual Core 2 processor 2.8GHz
    -500 GB hard drive
    -8 GB RAM (upgraded from standard 4 GB)
    -OS X Lion installed

In 2010, I got an iMac for the more heavy duty actions, such as streaming and converting video, projects, music, etc. As it stands now, I use my Macbook Pro for basically the internet, email, and Microsoft Office. I currently use only about 90 GB of that hard drive.

I'm looking at the Macbook Air, the high end model (13.3" high end).

If I were to sell my Macbook Pro for an Air, would that make sense? Do you think the change is worth it, especially since I no longer use the machine to its fullest potential?

Thank you for your help.

2. VMMan macrumors 6502a

The 2011 MBA will be a lot faster than your MBP. It's a great computer.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I did something similar when the first Air came out, and was very happy for a few years.

Now I want a more powerful laptop again, so I've got the new model 15" and am loving it.

Needs change I guess! Sounds like an Air will do you fine if you want something smaller and lighter at the moment.

4. Bill Killer thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mind elaborating a bit, because I knew it was lighter and uses fewer applications, but faster surprises me, considering a simple look at the specs.

----------

At least for the next 2 years, a lighter model is probably ideal (I am an MBA student and don't have a desk job to necessitate a less portable notebook).

It's not that I have an issue with the Pro's size and weight (I don't, at all), but I just don't use it that powerfully since I replaced those needs with my iMac.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm sure someone else will hurry along with this pearl of wisdom very shortly, so I'll try and get in there first ;) Sounds like your current MacBook Pro is a keeper. Sure, you're not utilising it fully, but if you don't mind the extra bulk then why not have that grunt on standby and save yourself some money in the process?

Or if, like me, you just love buying Apple stuff and are in need of your fix, grab an Air and be super happy ;)

6. Bill Killer thread starter macrumors 6502

I love Apple products, but I don't buy them for the sake of buying them. And this is my concern with this possible exchange: I don't need an Air. I want one, and I'm sure it's a fantastic product, but I just don't know if it makes sense to switch from my current one to this. I'll keep taking everyone's opinions into consideration, but thank you for the help.

7. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

If you can afford to loose a few hundred, then sure go ahead..but I would really just keep the MBP (opposite of miniConvert lol) it does everything you want, and once the novelty of the light & thinness wears off you are not going to notice much differences.

8. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Then why are you seeking advice from total strangers on a usenet forum? Don't you know what you want? You're the only one suited to make this decision.

9. Bill Killer thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm asking strangers online on an Apple-centric forum because I assume there are a number of posters on here that have used the product before. If there was a strong enough bump in the performance of an Air from 2011 compared to my MBP, then I would strongly consider a purchase.

I have some disposable income I can afford to lose, and I would be willing with what seems like a consensus that the Air is that superior.

That's why I'm asking. I would take posts from here and use them as just another factor in my decision, not use it as my final decision.

10. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Hi there ops,

I have the MBP but so thirsty for a sexy MBA I played with both of them for at least a month! I had double Sammy on the MBA too but I sold it last week because the resolution! Since I sold the MBA I upgraded my MBP with SSD and Opitbay my HDD! Loving it so far! When the MBA get a higher quality display then I will look into it again.

11. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

It's a discussion forum, the OP is tossing around ideas and asking for suggestions/opinions so leave it alone.

These people who police threads and have nothing good to say gotta go, MR is plagued with them in recent months. Kids have too much time on their hands I guess.

To the OP, having owned a 15" MBP and an 11 and 13" MacBook Air I would recommend the 13" Air. Thin, light and screen is big enough to work efficiently, I often appreciate the 13" screen over the 15" more than I thought I would.

Hope that helps.

12. onions macrumors member

the 13" has a pretty good resolution. when my wife upgraded from her macbook pro core duo to the air, she was concerned about moving to a smaller screen, but after she found out that the resolution was the same, she was on board. i myself have a 15" mbp, but whenever i jump on her machine, i get a twinge of jealousy over how small, light, and fast it is. it's a very capable machine.

i don't think i could ever give up my 15", but if i could justify getting a second laptop it would be an 11" ultimate.

13. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Don't forget this option !

One question for you to ask yourself: What was really the big new feature of the very first Macbook Air product line? At the end of the day it was the first laptop that came with an SSD drive as standard. This was a big part of the "MBAir Bliss".
    My advice to you, - don't forget the option of an SSD upgrade for your MBP. Looking at that way, it will be even harder to justify a complete new machine.

14. Bill Killer thread starter macrumors 6502

I must claim ignorance on SSD.

15. eowl macrumors member

eowl

I wouldn't bother personally, i've just upgraded to a pro from an air and I wouldn't change back!

16. Bill Killer thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so here's the deal.

I would be getting this computer from Best Buy.

I have $600 in certificates and gift cards from there. Add that to the $760 I would get by trading in my MBP. With tax, the high-end MBA costs roughly $1,625. Basically, I'd be putting in less than $300 of actual cash/credit.

I honestly think I'm going to make the jump with that little an investment.

17. Joos24 macrumors regular

You just contradicted yourself. If you don't need one and just want one then you ARE buying for the sake of buying one.

If it's just about speed alone you can buy and install your own aftermarket SSD. Your Macbook Pro should last you another 2-3 years before even thinking about upgrading. Hold on to your money.

18. aCondor macrumors 6502

The Air will be faster, but with the expenses and whatnot, I'd suggest sticking with your MBP. Unless it is not working for you anymore, then by all means, upgrade!

19. onions macrumors member

why not just get a crucial m4 or samsung 830 ssd with your credits/gift cards and install it into your mbp?

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This isn't really correct. Those two machines are actually pretty comparable in speed both in geekbench numbers and in real use. If you're bottlenecked by the hard drive, the Air is faster. Especially if the OP doesn't feel constrained on performance currently, I wouldn't expect him to perceive much of a difference there. I don't think he'll notice a difference in performance either way. If he likes that the Air is lighter and extremely compact, he should make the switch. Otherwise it should not be a big deal.

21. JMS803 macrumors member

I am very tempted to upgrade to a 13" Air from my 2007 (pre-unibody) 15.4 SR Macbook Pro. I never use the optical drive, the new pros seem a bit too bulky (mine is bad enough to travel with already) and I'm fed up with physical hard drives. The new air seems much speedier and elegant, and the most I'll stress it with is Photoshop/Lightroom, which it appears to handle. Hopefully by the next rev. this Spring/Summer the SSD capacity and Ram will be bumped.

22. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Geekbench scores:
    2009 MBP C2D 2.8: 3828
    2011 MBA Core i5 1.7: 5348

That's a 40% increase in speed. Real world usage will seem even faster with use of the SSD.

23. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

A big negative for the Air is that you are forever limited to 4 GB RAM - so an Air isn't likely to be as useful for as long as your Pro, even if the Air's CPU is considerably faster (about 1.5x per geekbench numbers).

24. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

25. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I'd go with the air, plus it will be much better for transport