Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I sell the recently refurbished Powerbook and buy a MBP?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I have another option

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iSaint

macrumors 603
Original poster
Reference this thread for details...I have my G4 Powerbook back in my lap and she's beautiful! New logic board and a new stick of ram. I think they even replaced the battery!

Picture 1.png

Now I'm a afraid to put the 250g Western Digital hard drive that was installed last October back in the computer. I really need the space, though. Apple didn't want to repair the computer since I had a 3rd party hard drive in it.

Poll Question: Should I sell this Powerbook? I'm sure I could find a MBP on eBay or here for $1,200 - $1,300 with some AppleCare on it that would suit me fine.

What would it be worth?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Why don't you see what similar machines are selling for on eBay? That'll give you a better idea than someone's opinion here. Just 'watch' several auctions with similar age/configuration/condition Powerbooks and see what they end up going for...
Good luck.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Original poster
Why don't you see what similar machines are selling for on eBay? That'll give you a better idea than someone's opinion here. Just 'watch' several auctions with similar age/configuration/condition Powerbooks and see what they end up going for...
Good luck.

Will do. I've been watching MBPs on eBay. Apple resale prices are unbelievable!

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Yeah, Apple resale value is really nice though. It's kind of like buying a nice car. You only really take a hit right in the beginning. At a certain point on the depreciation curve, sell and buy the new model. Doesn't cost you more in the long run than a Camry. In terms of Macs, you're buying yourself a brand new PB/MBP every year for a cost of $500-1000, depending on the model and the timing.

That said, I've been regretting selling my old Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz for a while now.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Original poster
Exactly. If it suits your needs, there shouldn't be a reason to sell it. If you're worried about the HDD causing more problems, well...buy a different HDD. :p

My worries stem from Apple's statements that certain hard drives aren't compatible with the Powerbook. I think they were leading me on. I don't know why a 3rd party company would advertise a compatible product that would cause problems later on.

Of course, resale value of the PB would be very good at this point. Then I would only need a few hundred bucks to get a used MBP.

I don't have any money right now, either.

ahhh, decisions... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.