Should I sell Powerbook that has been refurbed by Apple?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iSaint, May 7, 2009.

?

Should I sell the recently refurbished Powerbook and buy a MBP?

Poll closed May 10, 2009.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I have another option

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Reference this thread for details...I have my G4 Powerbook back in my lap and she's beautiful! New logic board and a new stick of ram. I think they even replaced the battery!

Picture 1.png

Now I'm a afraid to put the 250g Western Digital hard drive that was installed last October back in the computer. I really need the space, though. Apple didn't want to repair the computer since I had a 3rd party hard drive in it.

Poll Question: Should I sell this Powerbook? I'm sure I could find a MBP on eBay or here for $1,200 - $1,300 with some AppleCare on it that would suit me fine.

What would it be worth?

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Why don't you see what similar machines are selling for on eBay? That'll give you a better idea than someone's opinion here. Just 'watch' several auctions with similar age/configuration/condition Powerbooks and see what they end up going for...
    Good luck.

3. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Will do. I've been watching MBPs on eBay. Apple resale prices are unbelievable!

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Exactly. If it suits your needs, there shouldn't be a reason to sell it. If you're worried about the HDD causing more problems, well...buy a different HDD. :p

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Yeah, Apple resale value is really nice though. It's kind of like buying a nice car. You only really take a hit right in the beginning. At a certain point on the depreciation curve, sell and buy the new model. Doesn't cost you more in the long run than a Camry. In terms of Macs, you're buying yourself a brand new PB/MBP every year for a cost of $500-1000, depending on the model and the timing.

That said, I've been regretting selling my old Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz for a while now.

7. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

My worries stem from Apple's statements that certain hard drives aren't compatible with the Powerbook. I think they were leading me on. I don't know why a 3rd party company would advertise a compatible product that would cause problems later on.

Of course, resale value of the PB would be very good at this point. Then I would only need a few hundred bucks to get a used MBP.

I don't have any money right now, either.

ahhh, decisions... :confused:

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I had a 250 gig, 5400 rpm drive placed in my 12" powerbook with no problems:

WDC WD2500BEVE-00WZT0