Should I send it for a repair ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Jul 7, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hello,

My 17" Macbook Pro was purchased on Feb 24th 2009 via telesales, so it's less than 6 months old. The hinge is very creaky and on the right hand side it makes a loud clicking noise when I open and close it, also the whole screen seems to creak, not just the hinge.

The wall charger is in my opinion very loose, it was loose when I got it ( should have changed it then ), but I haven't really moved it that much ( maybe 10 times in the space of 5 months and this is also becoming a concern...

I contacted Apple today and they told me I have 1 year of telephone support and 3 years parts and labour as I order though Higher Education. They told me that I can go to a Apple store or authorized repair centre to have it looked at, but all the stores are 2 hours away. I asked about mail-in repairs and he said that could be set up but they would prefer if I went to a store...

The question is, should I send it in and hope they take care of my Mac i.e don't scratch or mark it etc. After reading some stories about repairs, I'm a little concerned about it, and don't like ANYONE to touch my Laptop. Obviously I would prefer a replacement as I have work to do and I don't want to be without my Mac.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple won't give you a replacement. Only in cases where fixing costs more than new one, you'll get a replacement. If you send it to store you can't argue with them and show what are the problems but if you go to store and they take it in, it won't be fixed in an hour I think, it can take up to weeks

3. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

They won't replace it. If at all possible, go to the store, that way you can explain the issue to the employee. Plus, you'll come out with your laptop the same day.

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

True, but what if it will take a few days, I'm going to have to take another long trip ( meaning my Father will have to take time off work as I don't yet have a car... )

I should also add that whilst the clicking noise happens about 95% of the time, the chances are if travel to a Apple store it won't happen and I would look like a complete idiot. :rolleyes:

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Do it now before something worse, like the screen breaking off, happens. Regardless, it will have to be in for repairs for a time, so you might want to do that now before AppleCare runs out.

6. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Then it sounds like you don't really have a choice but to send it in.

7. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I think so too. I have just called my nearest Apple store but after waiting 14 minutes for a rep. to answer I gave in.I will call again tomorrow and see what they say...

If I mail it in, and they don't find a fault, will I be charged at all ? ( even though it's clear the power adapter is loose )

Thanks

EDIT: Has anyone ever sent their laptop in for a similar problem to mine ?

8. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Right, I was reading about Apple repair service and then just decided to google ' repair or replacement legal' a interesting article came up stating :

" Here your rights are greater, and last longer. This is due to the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, an addition to the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
    According to these new regulations, if the product develops a fault within the first six months of your ownership, you are legally entitled to a repair or replacement – and most importantly, you do not even have to prove that there was a fault.
    This is because the burden of proof now falls on the retailer, not you, the consumer. So the retailer must prove that the item was not faulty in order to refuse your request. "

Does this mean that I can actually get a replacement ? Should I keep reading up about the sales of goods act and having items less than 6 months old replaced, has anyone has success with the Sale of Goods Act ?

What has Apple go in place to fight such documents ?

9. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

even if the cost of repair is more than replacement, apple will NOT replace it. My MBP had to have the hinge, display, logic board, i/o power circuit, keyboard, mouse, palmrest, and sleep light replaced. Basically all that was left was the cd drive, hd, and ram! they still chose to replace everything.

I would send it in to get it repaired. my machine was repaired within hours. i've heard of store repairs taking much longer.

10. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

They are sending me a new Magsafe,

The Macbook Pro is going in for repair, they said the min amount of time they will have it is 5 days, but they can't give a maximum until they know what needs doing.

I asked if I could get a replacement as it's less than 6 months, he replied ' If it was more than 6 months old the only option would be a repair' which to me suggest a replacement is o.k ?

See : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=742093

11. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I got my Macbook Pro back today, after 10 business Days...

The whole screen assembley has been replaced -

When I close the lid, you can see straight through the gap between the display and keyboard, you can see daylight - Is this normal, I can't remember if the other Lid I had had this problem

When pick my Mac up off the desk when it's open the lid always tries to close on itself, again it didn't do this before.

The whole computer was covered in dirty fingerprints and loads of dust.

There is a 2" scratch on the bottom of the Case

There are a few small marks on the top case and around the trackpad

Their are marks on the black hinge ( plastic ) where the Technician has installed it , resulting in it looking as if I had done a nasty job of disassembeling it myself.

When I reported the problems, I also told them that my Magsafe was very loose and kept dropping out, they ( Apple ) said that they'll send a new one out, this was 20 days ago. Apple then said that the ASP will send out a new Magsafe when they ship my Mac... they didn't

I've got to call Apple anyway to ask for a Magsafe replacement, as promised. Do you think my problems are enoughto warrant a replacement as it has already been repaired once, and in some ways ( if not all ) has come back in a worse contition i.e the hinge still makes a noise.

Thanks for any advice.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...only apple can tell you what they'll do... call them...

13. mainomega macrumors 6502

They replaced the screen twice on a 17" mbp... they did a sloppy job both times... black smudges everywhere and the screens did have a gap (that wasn't there) when closed between the keys and screen.

14. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm confused?

Is this your experience, if so how did it ' end '