Should I settle for light backlight bleeding?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mjmar, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mjmar, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

Mjmar macrumors 65816

I got my iPad 32gb wifi on launch day, and like many of us on the forums the first thing I noticed when I turned it on was the backlight bleeding. At first I thought it was glue since it was yellowish, but it still hasn't gone away. Now, after reading some of the stories of those of you who have gone to the geniuses about it I'm thinking that I might just stick with what I have. From what I have read, a perfect iPad 2 screen is hard to come by, with some people going through 4 of them before finding one that was good enough. My backlight bleeding isn't as bad as other iPad 2's, but it's still very noticeable, and I'm scared that I'll go through all the trouble of going to the nearest apple store and just get a replacement with the same problem. Does anyone feel the same way as me? I just don't want to regret not doing anything in the long run. Also, how long do I have to bring it to the apple store before they can't replace it for free?

Update: Here's a picture

Attached Files:

2. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

never settle when it comes to electronics and money.

You payed over 500 dollars for this thing, it damn well better be near perfect.

That is my take on it. I dont ever settle until I am happy truly with the money I spent.

3. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

They will most likely replace it for free anytime in the next year due to backlight bleed. That is a hardware issue and is usually covered under your warranty. I, like you, have a very little amount of backlight bleed. I decided to settle for it, but now just yesterday I discovered a stuck pixel. It's not always there, so I can probably live with it.

4. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

yes. But I wouldn't call it settling, I'd call it "realizing there are way more important issues going on in the world right now".

How often are you r e a l l y watching dark movies or dark shows or looking at dark pictures in a dark room??

I got mine on launch day and would have never ever noticed "backlight bleeding" if I hadn't seen the threads. Even with pics of what people call "bleeding", I had a hard time figuring out what exactly was the problem.

Is it truly bothering you or are you just making a mountain out of a molehill?

5. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

If it bothers you, do not settle. Get it replaced :)

6. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

I watch a lot of TV and movies on my iPad, and the bleeding is actually visible in daylight too.

7. ARK macrumors 6502

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That seems a little excessive, so much so, that I would return it. From what I read a lot of the bleeding is due to the adhesive not being fully cured. The iPhone 4 had this issue and once it cured the bleeding stopped.

In your case, it seems too much to be that, either way, spending so much money on the iPad, you really should get one that operates as intended.

9. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

Hell no don't settle!!

The iPad screen is THE MOST IMPORTANT component. You look at it 100% of the time. Telling you it's ok is ludicrous. A defective problem is exactly that; a replacement is needed! Don't listen to the ones in denial. The LCD is defective if it bleeds light.

10. anthony691 macrumors newbie

+1000

If the light bleed is only visible with a black screen, 100% brightness, in a dark room, it is not defective. Otherwise, it is and you should return it if it bothers you.

11. shadrap macrumors 6502

I have one dead pixel in an indiscreet location. But no light bleed and not glass separation. So, I am gonna hold with what I got. I too am nervous I will have more problems.

12. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

13. MikieMcBikie macrumors regular

noooo... that isn't right. i have backlight bleeding, but two small spots on the edges. it is never noticeable unless fully blacked out and i can live with that. what you have there is really bad. return it imo.

14. secondcup macrumors member

secondcup

Yes, definitely return. You paid good money, it should be perfect. Makes me wonder what mine will be like if I ever get one! :)

15. ninjadex macrumors 6502

Absolutely not. That is unacceptable, and Apple needs to know about it.

16. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

That looks awful, I wouldn't tolerate it. I'd exchange it, but you're correct- you may just end up with another light bleed issue.

When I bought my first iPad, it had a bright red dot on the screen, I only noticed it when there was black in that area, and I "might" have tolerated it if it didn't appear to be growing larger.

I recommend a test to look for stuck pixels like I had, try going from a white screen to a black one, if you can find an all black image, and all white- flip back and forth between them and look carefully, because what might be a dot now, could become a big annoyance later on.

17. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I admit a small amount is acceptable (like take your laptop and put it at full brightness in the dark with a black screen) but the amount people are getting on these ipads are ridiculous. I definitely wouldn't settle for it. I think people are discouraged to try and replace them because they see so many of us talking about it, but we're a very small fraction of the ipad userbase.

18. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

19. JayDH macrumors 6502

Don't settle with something that bothers you. That being said, I would probably wait a month or two to exchange it. Maybe once the demand settles down these will be more carefully manufactured or the problem will be resolved.

20. Gil22 macrumors member

Yep I would wait, I opened another thread speculating that we are seeing the production issues that were rumored to have had apple scrambling about whether to delay launch until June or not. I find it interesting that my local stores are still out of stock after last Fridays launch too.....this may have been a limited initial deployment to hold off a major opening for the android xoom if the production issues are true. Has anyone returned a bleeder and been satisfied with the replacement yet?

21. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yea that's not a little bleeding that's a lot, I'd wait a week or two nag exchange after a few more kinks have the time to get more sorted out

22. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

With all of these light bleed issues, I decided to do the black image with the brightness all the way up on my ipad1 and I just noticed it does the same thing...not nearly as bad as that but still noticeable. My iPad is pretty much always 50% or lower brightness though so I just never noticed.

But what you have does look very bad. Can you take a picture at like 75% brightness and 50% brightness? I am just curious how it scales.

23. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Mine is the same.. just one small spot at the bottom if the screen is black and i have the iPad turned a special way.. not worth returning...

What causes the backlight bleed?

24. zenio macrumors 6502

I'm taking a wait and see approach with mine. I'm really tired of returning Apple products. I'm not bashing them, it is what it is.

After while you get into acceptance. I've already had to return two MBP's and an MBA in the last few weeks. Nothing goes on forever, it's got to get better.