Should I/should I not wait to get a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kofman13, Mar 18, 2013.

  1. kofman13 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    #1
    Hi all,

    Right now I have an old aluminum macbook 2ghz core 2 duo that has been chugging along but is now getting pretty dated for my dance music production that is now turning into more of a profession than a hobby so I am looking to upgrade.

    I have a certain MBP in mind (13 inch 2.9 ghz core i7 model NON RETINA)

    Forever, I have always been an iphone geek, following all the latest rumors, always upgrading my iphone to the newest models, but always waiting to see if there was going to be a keynote soon showing a new iphone, if so i would wait a month or few months to get a new phone (i.e. if i had a 3GS, why get a 4 if the 4S was probably coming out in 2 months)


    SO....................... I don't follow rumors and news for macbooks. does anyone know/think there is going to be a non-retina model refresh or upgrade anytime soon this year?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Intel is set to release the Haswell chipsets in June, we can expect Apple to release at the very least the 15" MBPs probably in August. Apple in the past has held off on releasing the update to the 13" MBPs so its anyone's guess as whether we'll see the update to those machine at the end of summer.

    If you need one now, I recommend getting one now. If you can wait till August to see what may or may not show up then wait. I know this isn't a definitive answer but only you can decide if you can wait.
     
  3. justperry macrumors 604

    justperry

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    Location:
    In the core of a black hole.
  4. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
    #4
    well then they better replace it with a cheaper budget Retina version.

    they keep killing models and just leaving expensive ones lol.

    no more $999 macbook etc
     
  5. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2008
    #5
    +1

    Look at what Ming-Chi Kuo says. His record is pretty flawless so far.


    KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo
    "- MacBook Pro: In line with his predictions from last year, Kuo believes that Apple will do away with the non-Retina MacBook Pro line in 2013, moving to an all-Retina lineup at cheaper price points than the current Retina models. Kuo also believes that Apple will tweak the design of these thinner Retina MacBook Pros, despite having just introduced the current form factor last year. "
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16...nes-retina-ipad-mini-all-retina-macbook-pros/
     
  6. justperry macrumors 604

    justperry

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    Location:
    In the core of a black hole.
    #6
    The last revision already saw price reductions, Apple may do so again when or if they drop the cMBP.
    Hope they won't but the chance is there they will.
     
  7. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #7
    However, Intel has been having problems with their Haswell chips, with the USB 3.0 compatability. Intel is said to be rolling out their chips in small numbers in June. Then, when they fix the problems,they will roll the chips in mass numbers.That could be as late as October. So, perhaps the MacBook Pros could not be introduced until the holidays. Apple could also discontinue their non retina line, so if you need it now or soon, you better buy it now.
     
  8. kofman13 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2009
  9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

    Interstella5555

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #9
    Not sure where you're getting that as the line has reduced in price over the last few months, and following Apples regular track, the "upgraded" lines with replace the existing lines at the same price point. Additionally, if you're worried about playing the game of chasing the "newest and best" you'll never win. Buy what makes sense and what makes you happy, my Rev. 1 MBP lasted me for 6 years before I needed to upgrade.
     
  10. mykem macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #10
    I've recently updated from pre-unibody MBP and 2008 iMac (both core 2 duo, 2.2 and 2.8GHz respectively) to an i7 Quad-Core rMBP and the difference is enormous. But it's also a combination of better GPU and a much, much faster SSD. I'm not sure if the difference would've been as dramatic had it simply been just a faster CPU.

    If you prefer the smaller form of the 13", it might be worth to wait for Haswell but if it's non retina 13", the move to Haswell will probably not make much of difference. My suggestion is the current 13" cMBP with SSD option and as much memory as possible.

    The problem with that option is that once you include the SSD option (256GB), the price is actually more than you would pay for a refurbished 15 rMBP that's much faster (and already comes with 256GB SSD and 8GB as standard).
     

Share This Page