Should I Shut Down or Enter Sleep Mode On My rMBP When Going To Sleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macNewbie02, Jul 23, 2012.

1. macNewbie02, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

macNewbie02 macrumors regular

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There is really no difference except if you sleep it, it comes online much faster. I always put mine to sleep and only shutdown if I need to unplug it for some reason. I've been doing this for years and never had a problem.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Well, it seems that there are some graphical artifacting issues happening with the rMBP. So perhaps a shutdown is better if that is being seen it all.

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

the only time I "shut down" is to restart in windows. My MBAs current uptime is 4 days.

5. devman macrumors 65816

devman

? - whether in sleep or shutdown the display is off.

6. Pared3s macrumors regular

If it's the graphical artifacting I'm seeing(static like image) then that occurs for me after waking up from sleep. It goes away immediately though.

7. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

It's all about personal preference. I turn my MacBook Pro off every night, but leave it on all day. I know plenty of people who've had their MacBooks turned on for 2+ years (the only time they turn it off is when they reboot for an update).

8. marddin macrumors 6502

After waking up my retina from sleep I get a blue screen flicker/glitch then resumes as normal. Only after waking from sleep though it's weird.

9. TibookAktive macrumors member

I've had every iteration of Apple's pro laptops since the Titanium Powerbook G4 back in 2001 and I've simply let them sleep whenever I'm not using them. I can probably count on my hands the amount of times I've fully shut them down over the years. In summary, no need to shutdown they work fine in sleep mode and you have the added benefit of near instant wake on re-opening (especially on the rMBP!).

10. TLewis macrumors 65816

With the rMBP (and recent MBAs), there may be an issue if you sleep while not connected to AC: the rMBP may not enter standby after an hour if (1) anything is connected to the USB ports, (2) an SD card is inserted, (3) a bluetooth device is currently paired, or (4) you have an external display attached. The rMBP will use up significantly more battery if it cannot enter standby. See Apple's support doc for details: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT4392

11. eron macrumors 6502

Definitely shut down if it's going to be left alone for more than 24 hrs. Save some electricity.

Restarting allows the computer to clear its cache. So it's useful if have been using some memory intensive apps, or multiple apps. Restart at least every few days if it's not shutdown.

When ML comes, it's going to have auto-update in sleep, forgot the term for it. Pretty cool.

12. Nozuka macrumors 65816

i shut it down every night, because it boots in like 10seconds...
    but during the day i just close it when not needed.

13. zerotiu macrumors regular

I personally keep using sleep because I will use it 2-4 hours after that. I've been doing for all computers I've worked with. Shutdown is still needed when you want to flush memory cache, when I can't stand the lag anymore