Should I skip this iPod?

leidendude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
18
0
Hi all,

I came into the iPod w/ video game a little late. By the time I could finally afford one, the MR community was expecting a new iPod out shortly. That was in April. With the news of a "true" iPod video circulating around the internet for the last six months or so, I'm afraid that I may have set the bar a bit high. Needless to say I was dissapointed at the iPod announcements today. Should I just bite the bullet and buy one of these new 5G iPods, or will the "true iPod" be appearing before Christmas?
 

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2006
485
322
Switzerland
Wouldn't think there will be an ipod update now until Macworld in Jan 07 at least...

I bought my video iPod in May, just a week before Apple were supposed to be releasing a new iPod and the Macbook, suffice to say it never happened, and it still hasn't! I've been fairly luck I guess! lol

Cheers
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Nano now PS3 from Santa :cool:

When will PS3 come out? http://www.ps3land.com/faq.php
November 2006 Worldwide. This was confirmed at the PlayStation Business Briefing 2006, where a lot of information was finally revealed. A Spring 2006 launch was the original plan from E3 last year, but problems with finalising Blu-ray copyright protection specifications delayed the launch.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Quite frankly I am underwhelmed, especially in face of what Zunes has put onto the table. Apple better buck up soon because when Microsoft releases their butt ugly player with tons of features (and more importantly, sold at a loss to undercut the iPod) the iPod might be in for quite a bit of beating.

Brighter screen, longer battery life. Hardly innovative to me.

On the upside the new price is very attractive. I sold my 60GB for MORE than what the 80GB is going for new :D
 

coal

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
135
0
Portland, OR
Go ahead and buy it now, unless you were really going to be using it for video rather than music. The iPod is still a music player first and does that very well. There are other better video players if that's what you're primarily wanting.


FFTT said:
Nano now PS3 from Santa :cool:

When will PS3 come out? http://www.ps3land.com/faq.php
November 2006 Worldwide. This was confirmed at the PlayStation Business Briefing 2006, where a lot of information was finally revealed. A Spring 2006 launch was the original plan from E3 last year, but problems with finalising Blu-ray copyright protection specifications delayed the launch.
Also, NOT worldwide. Europe has been delayed until Spring 2007. Sony!
 

crazydreaming

macrumors 6502a
Look at the prices of refurbed 5 g's. $200 for the 30GB.

What are the main differences between the new 5G's and the previous. I know there was a software update for the previous ones, so is everything software wise the same? Is the only difference slightly longer battery life, brightness, and capacity in the 80GB?
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
crazydreaming said:
Look at the prices of refurbed 5 g's. $200 for the 30GB.

What are the main differences between the new 5G's and the previous. I know there was a software update for the previous ones, so is everything software wise the same? Is the only difference slightly longer battery life, brightness, and capacity in the 80GB?
I think the newer ones support games no?
 

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
10,807
79
All the current ipods (old models) support gaming, quick scroll, 640x640 resolutions and brightness control. New iPods have the edge with better battery life and search functions and brighter screens. Thats it. If i owned a current 5G iPod (which i do) i'd skip this revision all together there is just no point...well for me anyways. The nanos however are another story..
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,961
364
Yeah, to be frank I'd probably skip this generation. I am going to be putting it on my birthday/christmas list though so who knows. If I was spending the money I'd just stick it out and wait till next year for whatever comes next.

My 3G is nearly dead though so something's going to give.
 

leidendude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
18
0
Thanks guys, looks like a skip this one. I'm sure my 4G will hold up fine. Here's to hoping I'm not 70 when the fullscreen iPod comes out (I'm 17 now)...
 

insan56

macrumors member
May 17, 2005
93
0
im having the same problem, but i dont exactly trust when people "think" the updates will occure for example i bought a PowerBook because the MacBooks were not supposed to be out for another 5 months and then all of a sudden a month down the road SURPRISE!

So i dont really know what to do... im still using the 4G black and white screen "brick" as i call it!
 

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
562
0
generik said:
Quite frankly I am underwhelmed, especially in face of what Zunes has put onto the table. Apple better buck up soon because when Microsoft releases their butt ugly player with tons of features (and more importantly, sold at a loss to undercut the iPod) the iPod might be in for quite a bit of beating.
Aren't there anti-dumping laws concerning selling products at a loss? Then again, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have all done this for their consoles.
 

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
1,401
0
CO
n-abounds said:
Aren't there anti-dumping laws concerning selling products at a loss? Then again, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have all done this for their consoles.
Microsoft's Zune will be priced 50 dollars higher than the same-speced iPod (30 GB).

299 vs. 249.
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
personally, i think the only really great thing to come from the new iPod announcements are the refurb prices for the "old" 60gb 5G - $230?! heck yes! makes me want to eBay my current 4G and grab that up.
 

supafly1703

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
99
0
There is no longer a $500 iPod...plenty of time between now an XMas to fill that spot with the true vidPod
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
xfiftyfour said:
personally, i think the only really great thing to come from the new iPod announcements are the refurb prices for the "old" 60gb 5G - $230?! heck yes! makes me want to eBay my current 4G and grab that up.
Wow it dropped again?

I am so thankful I sold mine the one week before the 12th :D
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
generik said:
Wow it dropped again?

I am so thankful I sold mine the one week before the 12th :D
yepp! though i didn't know this was a second drop.

all's i know is that my current 4G is on eBay and my card is waiting and willing until that's done to grab a new one up. :)
 

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
6,735
985
EricNau said:
If you don't like these iPods you'll be waiting until next Christmas.
Exactly. Just get the one that is out now. I have a 4g and when the videos came out last october I wasn't angry or disapointed. Just do what you think is best, rather than the best that your wallet allows.
 

2Shae

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
249
0
Wait till the next ipod will come!!!

I don't think it will take that long (somewhere between Jan 2007-May 2007)
This current 5.5G is just like the ipod colour/photo...one stap between a big change.

And if you are like me than you will hate yourself for buying the 5.5g instead of just waiting a little while and just bought the "true" or at least changed ipod video

PS: you could ofcourse buy a new Nano or refurbished 30GB
CLICK HERE for refurbished ipods
 

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
1,253
0
Daegu, South Korea
x-mas is long time to wait.
i would buy now and sell it in 6 month if something better comes along
life is short, gather ye rosebuds while ye may, or some such thing....