Should I sleep or shut down when I'm away?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trance, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Im a First time laptop user when I'm not home or sleeping should I put my mbp to sleep or shut it down?

2. simsaladimbamba

Sleep seems to be the preferred option when leaving the Mac for less than two days untouched, according to countless threads upon this.

3. mtip macrumors member

Shouldn't make a difference. Mine only sleeps when I'm carrying it somewhere. Otherwise it's on 24/7, hasn't been shut down since the moment I bought it in January and only gets restarted when required by an update. No issues.

4. Taz Mangus, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Just let it sleep as there is no reason to shut it down when it is not in use. If you are concerned about the battery life, it will drain a slight bit when it is asleep but then you have to weigh that against the time you have to wait for the computer to boot. The only time I even reboot my Macs is for when it is required by a software update. The MacBook Pro is designed to be left on all the time.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Third Way

Nothing wrong with the advise above. But I shut down when I'm done....Could be 4 hours or 24.

Then I shut down. Once a week I run the daily / weekly scripts which would have run whilst the machine is idling if left on. I use Onyx (free) there isn't really a wrong or right way, what Apple are getting at is: don't boot up, check your email and then shut down...even that is okay.....It's to save wear and tear on component uptime.

It's a personal thing.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I let it sleep unless it's unplugged overnight, as my battery life isn't great and mine drains pretty bad when asleep, especially if I left any apps running. The newer ones have about double the battery life of mine though, so that probably wouldn't even be an issue. I occasionally shut down overnight or if I'm not going to use it for a day or more, but that's not very often.

7. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I never shut down my MacBook Pro... I only restart when there's an update or when there's a problem. I also leave Mail and Google Chrome Canary open in full screen 24/7 as well :)

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I shut it down when I go to bed and turn in back on in the morning... or I shut it down when I don't want to use it because I need to study. During the day I just put her to sleep though.

10. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

I just let mine sleep. When I am home it is connected to my external monitor using clamshell mode.

11. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Hey Macman, what are these and where is it?

I only let sleep when away from it for a few mins or an hour or so, but I shut down just because the battery life stinks and sleep loses a fair few percent on mine.

12. jbjones85 macrumors member

I sleep mine unless its going to be off for more than a day or two without being connected to the AC cord.