Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
What do you guys think? Currently I'm running two 512's, so I''ve got a 1GB in there right now. I just tend to run a lot of programs at once and such. Presently, I really only have trouble when opening iPhoto (Almost 4,000 photos inside). When opening iPhoto my computer almost entirley craps out until it's completely open.

What do you guys think? I would have to spend $600 to get two 1GB chips. Should I do it? Is it worth $600 for another gig of memory?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Apple!Freak said:
What do you guys think? Currently I'm running two 512's, so I''ve got a 1GB in there right now. I just tend to run a lot of programs at once and such. Presently, I really only have trouble when opening iPhoto (Almost 4,000 photos inside). When opening iPhoto my computer almost entirley craps out until it's completely open.

What do you guys think? I would have to spend $600 to get two 1GB chips. Should I do it? Is it worth $600 for another gig of memory?

What programs are you running and what are you doing in them?

Photoshop + large images + batch actions and filters + you make your living on it?

Sure, buy it.

$600.00 burning a whole in your pocket? Save a little more and buy a second display for it.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
iGary said:
What programs are you running and what are you doing in them?

Photoshop + large images + batch actions and filters + you make your living on it?

Sure, buy it.

$600.00 burning a whole in your pocket? Save a little more and buy a second display for it.

I'm making my living on my iMac but not by using Photoshop. :p

I would purchase a second display (Apple 20"), but truth be told I don't have a spot for it on my desk (I do but I keep everything very clean and organized in my neck of the woods and my setup would shift out of shape if I were to add a screen next to my iMac).

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Willy S said:
2GB should cost around $200. Check newegg or crucial.

You get me a direct link to the 1GBx2 or 2GBx1 chip(s) I need to buy to work flawlessy with my iMac, and I will purchase it, right now! (That is, if its $200 like you say.)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Apple!Freak said:
Presently, I really only have trouble when opening iPhoto (Almost 4,000 photos inside). When opening iPhoto my computer almost entirley craps out until it's completely open.

I'd suggest troubleshooting your iPhoto before you go and spend so much on RAM. I've only got a 1.25G4 Powerbook with 5,000 or so photos and it doesn't crap out when opening iPhoto. If that's your only problem, it seems madness to get another GB of RAM when if iPhoto is messed up, it might not make much difference.

Turn off the drop shadows, change to the black background, keep your main library in 'rolls' rather than all 4000 'loose' and make sure that your iPhoto trash is empty and see if that makes any difference.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
If you need 2GB of RAM, then bite the bullet if you have the $$$. Still, you should be able to find 2 1GB sticks of RAM for around $200 (more RAM is always a good choice). But like the post above said, check to make sure that iPhoto is properly working.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
Apple!Freak said:
You get me a direct link to the 1GBx2 or 2GBx1 chip(s) I need to buy to work flawlessy with my iMac, and I will purchase it, right now! (That is, if its $200 like you say.)

Not sure if this link will work perfectly but Crucial has it at $111 per chip (you need 2 for 2GB). You can also sell your old RAM for maybe $50-$75.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...=CR&model=iMac+(G5-1.8GHz,+20-inch)&submit=Go

Crucial guarantees that it will work with your machine. If you go to Newegg, you can get it cheaper, but if things don't work, you may have to deal with a restocking fee.

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
go to ramseeker.com

All of the RAM there is Mac tested. It searches many Mac RAM dealers. I have had great success with with 1-800-4-MEMORY. Currently, you can get 2GB for $168!! :eek:

Also, sell your old RAM and put the money towards it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.