Should I Start Rollerblading? Or Sumthin'?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, May 12, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Since it''s been pretty nice out, I've been itching to get outside and do stuff. Usually during the winter, I go into hibernation mode (school stress and crappy weather... :( ) I always play basketball, and couple summers ago I started running, not too intense but just so I could get my exercise.

In the winter, the only thing I do active is probably Snowboarding and that's only every so often, but I love it. So I was thinking, what would compare to the fun and intensity of riding? I also find running to become a bit boring and seems like a waste of time. Besides stamina you don't really improve your "skills". The only things I could think of is rollerblading and skateboarding.

Got any suggestions single activity exercising?

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

I love biking, I bike every day to work, its great.

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I love rollerblading- unfortunately haven't gone in years, many years. I do a lot of biking these days. along with the gym, but I really want to pick up a new pair of rollerblades- I just don't want to spend any money. I'll probably get a pair in the next month or 2.
    I'd go running instead, but I just can't do it- I get shin splints and can only really run about 4 blocks before getting tired. Rollerblading and biking, on the other hand, I could do for hours.

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

That is pretty much all we do up here in MN over the summers. Of course, having over 14,000 lakes at your disposal (at least 15-20 within 5 miles of my house) probably helps too :)

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I would definitely consider if I had any kind of water near me.

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

There's nothing sexier than a well developed girl on rollerblades. :)

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

There's nothing worse than feeling self-concious when rollerblading, even as an unfortunately not all that developed girl....

skateboarding has a steeper learning curve but imo is more fun once you get good, blading you can pick up fairly quickly but it gets boring once you get to a point. I did both for a while but most of all I love ice skating, but then unless you have a really cheap local rink it's impractical. I'd love to properly learn to figure skate some day.

Mountain biking is fun but it likely won't get you properly fit, I cycle like 30 miles a week and it doesn't seem to do much for me, I enjoy it but it's just not the best form of exercise.

9. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I also like biking. Especially if I am going some place - library, store, etc. I am accomplishing something I need to do while getting exercise.

10. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Longboarding is great exercise. If you learn how to pump you can travel long distances without putting your feet down and it works the middle of your body quite hard. For more of a leg workout you could learn to push with both feet and alternate as you travel.

A few advantages over "regular" skateboarding are less noise, smoother ride, more comfortable boards and less hassle from "the man".

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Mountain Biking. I got back into the sport over spring break and I just love it.
    Hardest part is mostly learning where the local trails are and then just getting out there and riding. I will say the entry cost to the sport is rather steep since a entry level bike is around 400 which basically means get your bike from a bike shop since they can help you out the best) and then other requirements like a helmet, bike pump, minor tools, water bottle or camelbak, and spare tubes. But that being said it is a blast and my goal right now for the end of the summer is to be force to replace some equipment on my bike because I wore it out on the trails :D

12. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

Skateboarding all the way. its hard but its all fun.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just get the age of the girl before you drool.:p

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I agree, biking is great, and if you get one with big tires, offroad is really fun, if its just for commuting or mostly street riding get some thinner tires.

15. dcv macrumors G3

Hello thar ;) :D

16. mpw Guest

Isn't that just jumping?

I agree, but even a sexy girl can look goofy as they step awkwardly like a noob, instead of gliding effortlessly. See attached .mov file below.

Attached Files:

17. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm hoping that was sarcasm, obviously you don't use both at the same time, you alternate as you ride.

18. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Sarcasm or not, that was funny. :D