Should I stay or should I go? PC convert to Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crayola, Aug 15, 2008.

1. crayola macrumors newbie

As a PC user for many years, I just purchased my 1st Mac a few days ago - a MacBook Pro 15" and I'm lovin' it. However, I'm facing some concerns and issues right now so I'm hoping to get some feedback from the forum. I wanna keep my mac but...

I converted from a 3 year old Acer 8100 (17") and I was used to a higher resolution (1680 x 1050) - I'm finding the 1440 x 900 isn't high enough since text appears fuzzy and pics aren't as clear as my old PC. Any solutions to this besides upgrading to a more costly 17" version? There is also a yellowish hue I can't seem to get rid of despite my attempts to calibrate the colors?

Additionally, it appears my new Mac doesn't work with any of my printers (HP Color LaserJet 1600 or Epson Stylus Photo R280)!

I want to keep my shiny new Mac but I don't want to spend more money to get what I was able to get with my old PC laptop. I want to move toward something better

Help me keep my new Mac...

thx,

crayola

2. roshambeau macrumors member

well, i would say congratulations on the new mac. but it seems that you may not be completely happy with your purchase. my situation was somewhat similar to yours. i had a 2 and a half year old dell 17" laptop that worked fine, but i do tons of audio editing/mixing/mastering, therefore, my old machine was getting way to slow for my use. so i upgraded to the macbook pro for college classes, also i installed Windows XP Pro with Bootcamp on the 2nd Partition of my current MBP.

Now, where my situation differs...i have noticed little to no screen clarity issues. actually compared to my high res 17" (old) Dell, my 15" (1440x900) MBP is excellent with color clarity as well as crisp text lines and awesome visual details.

i also have 3 different HP brand printers that are currently on the "network" at work that i have never had any problem connecting to or printing to any of them (especailly with the driver update that apple made available via software update just weeks ago).

take a few comparison screenshots of your acer and your current MBP and post so maybe we can see the clarity issues you have...

3. buyusfear macrumors 6502

My advice, move forward, don't let old crap keep you from sticking with an amazing machine.

How much are printers nowadays, ? free?

Small trade-offs. My printer was/is an HP, and it is one of the many that don't work with mac. Big deal. I'll use it till she runs out of ink (on my girlfirends laptop), And get another one later. I'm Not about to sacrifice OSX for a disposable printer.

No offense,. but it's gunna take alot more money on the other side of the fence to compete with a MBP.

I ditched a bunch of stuff when i switched, recording interfaces, printers, programs, familiarity... but that's change. No regrets on my end.

Again, if the screen is that bad, take it in and compare it to another one. It's not like MAC's are failproof, mistakes happen.

4. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Well put!

Sounds like you might have bought the wrong machine if resolution was a major thing for you. You could always get an external monitor when you are in need of high resolution.

6. ManWithhat macrumors regular

I'm holding off buying a MBP until they give a higher res. option on the 15". If it doesn't happen, they won't ever get my money. :(

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You mentioned things look fuzzy--are you sure you didn't accidentally lower the resolution?

And how does that help the OP?