Should I stay or should I go? ( with my MBP13)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Arvean, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Arvean macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    I've just joined the forum and I'm totally overwhelmed with the vast knowledge collected here.As a newly switched PC guy I'm going thru a process of adjustment to the new environment. So far it was a pleasant journey, but I have some concerns on which I hope you'll be able to provide feedback with:

1) The Office: The only thing I can't accept as an alternative software on mac is office. I tried both Office 2008 for Mac and iWork09 and both are very limited in my opinion. I hate the interface, missing functions etc ( especially that I'm participating in Office 2010 Beta - and it looks awesome). At this point I'm running Office 2007 thru Parallels. Unfortunately there is a slight lag/delay when switching tabs/windows etc. What do you think is causing the lags? ( I have 2.26ghz and 4gb of ram).

2) I hate the low resolution of mbp13. I'm thinking about either upgrading to MBP15 ( is it worth it?) or actually going with MBP17( how much portability I'd loose? - keep in mind I used to drag around an old HP dv9700 back in the day, still I love how I can take mbp13 to class and take notes on it, and study in bed with the 13. Is 17 too much to take to bed?).

3) Would processor upgrade from 2.26 to 2.53 would make a significant difference in my Parallels experience?

4) Do you think that MBP 15 or 17 would allow me to run Win XP thru Parallels without any visual performance decrease?

Your feedback is highly appreciated...

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Parallels.

It's worth it if you want more screen real estate. I'm not sure how you quantify "portability" but I don't have any trouble carrying my 15" MBP around.

It'd probably be noticeable.

It'd be a step in the right direction at least.