should i stay or should i go?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xriderx11, Sep 2, 2010.

1. xriderx11 macrumors regular

Sooooo hurricane Earl is comming and its gonna hit the part of longisland NY im from.... sooooooooo....... should i leave and go more western or should i stay and get hit? is it better safe than sorry or is it a risk cant be that mutch of a b*tch?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you go there will be trouble, and if you stay there will be double

(sorry, couldn't resist)

3. mamema macrumors regular

...and i thought oh another should i leave macrumors forum thread......
    so because you have fooled me, you have to stay. :D

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

That's what I thought too. :p

OP, what do the local authorities say? Are you prepared for power outages and the sort?

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

that thing is massive!

[​IMG]

just follow what your local authorities say, but i think that unless you are really on the coast, riding it out should be fine. it's expected to pass ~200 miles from LI, but you really never know, and it is a large beast.

hehe, i was actually thinking of taking the family to Montauk this weekend, guess i'll have to change plans :D

6. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

That's what She said!! :p

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Are we talking about the hurricane or America's wang, aka Florida? :D

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

hurricane? :D

9. 184550 Guest

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Keep informed but if you are going to leave, then leave. Don't wait too long least this happen:

[​IMG]

I stayed during Ike here but I am about 76 miles north of the coast. It still took out trees and fences and many people had those trees in their house or on top of their cars. We were also without electricity for 11 days.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Who are the few dumbasses trying to get into the city?

Reminds me of the line from Independence Day "Everyone's trying to get out of Washington and we're the only schmucks trying to get in"

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I was one of those. When it took 11 hours to go 20 miles, and I was about to run out of gas, I turned around and stayed north as I could with a friend. More people lost their lives in the traffic jam than did in the actual hurricane. Also, the hurricane was approaching so I'd rather be in a building (even if it is a little farther south) then in a SUV in the middle of the highway. ;)

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

reporters.

My parents stayed during ike. They were about 20-25 miles inland.

My home town had trees knock over and power was out in some parts for a while. For my parents it was out for about 2 days. It is kind of nice that they are on the same grid as the local police station so they got power back pretty quickly since they shared the station with a prioty one.

As for leaving I would say what are the local athorites saying. Also remember if you stay be prepared to be with out power for a while. Ike for example put the entire Houston area at a 99.5% power outage and it stayed about 90% for some time.

14. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The craziest thing was going to Galveston not too long after and seeing ships and big sailboats in the middle of parking lots.

Edit: That photo is from the Rita evacuation not Ike. Ike a lot of people stayed because of that traffic jam in Rita and therefore many people were without electricity and all.

In Rita, 2.5 million drivers got on the road heading West and North at the exact same time.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I saw Galveston month or 2 afterwards and other areas closer to the coast and it still looked like a war zone. It was freaky.

As for Rita problems they did learned a lot from that mess. To be fair they had never had tested the evacuation system so a lot of problems cropped up. They have made some massive changes since then like they will have counter flow traffic running (both sides of the freeway are going to go north), they will have fuel trucks stationed on the routed ready to get gas quickly into people who run out and Gas stations on routes now are required by law to keep their tanks about a certain amount during hurricane season.
    Reta was a messed and a lot was learned from it. Hopefully it will be a long time before the new system is fully tested.

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

true, but consider that eastern Long island is much much less populated, especially on a weekend when bad weather is predicted (on the other hand, the roads are also much less up to the job)

17. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Gotta love your forum name, it fits the thread perfect!

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Just get an inner tube and a twelve back - you'll be fine!

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

What's a "twelve back"? :p

20. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Dammit! I hate it when I try to be clever (it usually doesn't work anyway) and muck it up with a typo! :)

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

Is it wrong that I look at that picture and am amazed at how orderly everyone is? Around my parts, the right and left emergency lanes would be packed with jerkoffs trying to pass everyone.

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Well, lol, there were cops everywhere making sure people didn't cut. Going west on that same day on a different route (country back road) a Corvette Z06 passed everyone going about 80 only to find themselves hit a truck oncoming therefore exploding their vehicle and I imagine themselves. By the time I got up there there were two tires and a chair showing and the rest was spread throughout some acreage.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This storm is going to turn into a high surf event, nothing major.