Should I stay or should I go

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by John hayman, Aug 20, 2011.

1. John hayman macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello Pro world, as I need a new mac soon, ( lion is the the straw that broke and ageing iMacs back) I was wondering if I should get a MacBook Pro soon, and get £65 gift card or wait for the update hopefully early next year?

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

i always just buy (unless i know for sure something new is coming out very soon). there's always something new on the horizon that you can be waiting for.

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

4. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

well how much longer do you give the imac to last? like what's been happening with it?

if you think it can hold out a good 8-9 months then i would wait. if not, just get it.

what model are you thinking about buying?

5. John hayman thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Basically the graphics in the 2008 iMac are awful to the extent that I can't use launchpad or mission control and exposé has been removed by apple, I'd probably veggie base MBP and upgrade the ram or add SSD as it is needed.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The current 15"/17" model is extremely fast, and, there is talk of making the MBP extremely thin sometime in the next few product cycles, something that I don't look forward to. I would go with the current model.

7. MarocSpecops macrumors newbie

MarocSpecops

Hint: buy a core i7 2.2 or higher mbp. The other ones are much weaker in overall performance :apple:

8. Jrv macrumors regular

Yeah, if you want to spend 1000 dollars more for that.

Personally, I think the best combo is to buy a 13 inch for portability, then use that 1000 dollars you saved to custom build yourself a desktop that will be more powerful than the more expensive pros anyway, AND you'll have the 13 inch as well.