Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atluten

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
I would recommend staying with Gmail, as it's a free service. Unless you really need the push and sync services provided by MobileMe, you would probably be better off using Gmail.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Gmail has always worked for me all the time. I'm not sure about MobileMe, but mine breaks a lot.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
the title says all what should i do :confused:

stick to Gmail if you want to RELIABLY send and receive emails. Doesn't make sense to move from a working FREE service to a non working service you have to pay for.

The only reason I use Mobile Me is because I've been a .Mac user for the last 3-4 years and need to keep my email address.

nhyde

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
Wisconsin
I am using MobileMe instead of GMail for the only reason of the calendar. My wife and I have busy schedules and being able to have a calendar synced to our iPods, and viewable in a web browser at work is extremely nice.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
If you decide to use MobileMe, there's no reason to stop using gmail; it's always a good idea to have multiple email accounts so your personal/business account doesn't fill up with commercial stuff.

You just have to decide if it is worth it for you to have the services of MobileMe.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I'd wait until January before looking into MobileMe again - Steve said that they are aiming to have this 'a service to be proud of' by the end of the year, and I'm sure they'll make some sort of announcement at MWSF.

dam0dred

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2007
Canada
I've been so disappointed with MobileMe thus far. It holds promise but it's buggy and the web interface is painfully sluggish, especially compared to Google's services.

My membership runs out in a few days, I'm not renewing. Stick with Gmail until Apple gets it's act together.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I think you really need to use several parts of the service to justify the fee.

I have no intention of using the e-mail service, but I will use iDisk quite a lot and I'm syncing my bookmarks, contacts and calendars between different computers (which on paper works great for me as I switch computers a lot) and my iPod touch.

I don't think the e-mail is anything to write home about!

Cherimoya

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
NJ
I would forget Mobile Me

I'm right now trying to send an email with 15MB of attachments using the Web interface (the limit is 20MB) and the green bar has been creeping along for about twenty minutes and is not even half way.

I have a 768 Kb/s uplink so it should have finished ages ago

It's a long way from being even usable let alone something to be proud of. :(

Update: Gave up and used GMail - it sent it in less than four minutes. 'Nuff Said

profetto

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
I made the switch. I was a .Mac user, but I never used the email, so I decided to use the MobileMe email instead of Gmail for the ability to get push email.

Funny thing is, Cal and Contacts push nicely, but the push email from MobileMe is quite rocky, more rockier than rocky road ice-cream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.